Lowering a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme

18incholdz

You could try modifying/cutting out some metal from the upper spring perch. The whole rear subframe assembly can be replaced if you screw it up. :read: You could also try rear coilovers, you can get some at http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/co.htm. You may have long term problems with coilovers though, like metal fatigue in the wheel wells since they weren't designed to withstand the stress.

I would personally not risk using coilovers since it can screw up alignment as the strut towers warp and distort. It can also cause structural problems. I'm sure it could be reinforced and possibly even done correctly, but I'm no engineer so I don't know for sure.

I can assure you that the rear strut towers are more than strong enough to safely use coil-overs. I have over 10k on mine in the past 8 months and have had no problems. The sheet metal in the rear towers is the same guage as that in the cars that use coil springs. There is also a thick steel plate on the top that helps to stiffen them up even more. They will not warp or distort and will not cause any alignment problems. The new rear mount (upper) is billet aluminum so it wont rust out like the stock ones can and allow the strut to come through. It also has the largest footprint possible to evenly distribute the force on the towers. This is the safest way to lower the back. I would not recommend cutting the subframe or spring mount since it is a structural part of the car and stiffens the chassis laterally.

a coil over is basically a coil spring that fits OVER the strut body. They replace the leaf spring in this case and are adjustable (ride height). check out my site for more info and a few pics (better pics coming soon)