MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) to gas

maybe2fast

Have you guyz heard of adding MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) to gas to up the octane 2-3 oz is supposed to make the octane over 100! bad ass just wondering if you guyz have ever heard of doing that

this may help ya a little...

I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on your engine, vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage. That said, the information is interesting.

Original published in:

GS-Xtra

1213 Gornto Road

Valdosta, GA 31602

(912) 244-0577

Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)

Formula #1 - Toluene

R+M/2.........114

Cost...........$2.50/gal

Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium

10%...........94.2 Octane

20%...........96.4 Octane

30%...........98.6 Octane

Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene

R+M/2.........117

Cost...........$2.75/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane

20%...........97.0 Octane

30%...........99.5 Octane

Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)

R+M/2.........118

Cost...........$3.50/gal

10%...........94.6 Octane

20%...........97.2 Octane

30%...........99.8 Octane

Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol

R+M/2.........101

Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal

10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)

10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)

20%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol

R+M/2.........101

Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane

20%...........Not Recommended

30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture

To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.

Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost

25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)

3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

I've used about 10 gallons of Toluene in one of my cars over the past year, it helps a great deal, but the car has forced induction. On an NA car, you're likely not going to notice much of an increase...I turn up the boost when I use the toluene/xylene(use xylene now since toluene has been discontinued or whatever..I can only find it at one place here now, and they don't have but a few gallons left). Xylene is about $7-9 per gallon in my area. The highest octane rating I've ran is ~100 assuming that the gasoline and the xylene I used were actual as potent as they're supposed to be. I forgot to add that I use mineral spirits as a cleaning agent and marvel mystery oil as a lubricating agent when using my homebrew gas.

EDIT: this is a decent read on octane boosters http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

I'm not sure about the octane rating of MEK, but I do know that the stuff is HIGHLY flamable. Even so its doubtful that a couple ounces could raise the octane rating of 16 gallons of gas from 90 to 100. Its a simple ratio kinda thing, 3 oz added to over 2000 oz isn't likely to bring up the octane rating over 10%. If it did the octane rating of MEK would have to be something on the order of 200000. VERY unlikely since most highly volatile and desirable gasoline additives have a rating of around 115.

You also want to watch out, MEK is a very good organic solvent being a polar molecule and a ketone at that. That pretty much means that it will damage any plastic that it touches. I'm also not sure about its effects, adverse or otherwise, on the oxygen sensor or the catalytic converter.

well as for the cat. I don't have to worry about it seeing I don't have one and the W-body's oxygen sensors are the easiest sensors to change I have ever seen I will try the MEK. The guyz at my work (Mechanics) say it is an old racing trick add about 16-20 oz to your tank and it will cruize but don't do it every tank full!

You do know that having high octane fuel will do essentially nothing for performance right? In truth higher octane fuels are usually less energy dense as well, which will equate to worse gas mileage. All high octane fuel does is resist exploding at high temperature and pressure better than low octane fuel, if you think about that for a second what it really means is that high octane addatives are LESS explosive. So, why throw away money on something thats has less energy, is less explosive, and is garunteed to have detrimental effects on your fuel system, not to mention any rubber gaskets it comes in contact with all for a minor and I do mean minor performance gain.

I know the articles site how it helps so much, but take a look at the cars. An Audi 1.8T with a turbocharger, and a Porsche 911 which probably has a compression ratio of 10.5 or greater. Neither makes a good comparison to a Chevy Lunima.

You do know that having high octane fuel will do essentially nothing for performance right? In truth higher octane fuels are usually less energy dense as well, which will equate to worse gas mileage. All high octane fuel does is resist exploding at high temperature and pressure better than low octane fuel, if you think about that for a second what it really means is that high octane addatives are LESS explosive. So, why throw away money on something thats has less energy, is less explosive, and is garunteed to have detrimental effects on your fuel system, not to mention any rubber gaskets it comes in contact with all for a minor and I do mean minor performance gain.

I know the articles site how it helps so much, but take a look at the cars. An Audi 1.8T with a turbocharger, and a Porsche 911 which probably has a compression ratio of 10.5 or greater. Neither makes a good comparison to a Chevy Lunima.

Holy crap...finally, someone else understands. That being said, it sure is strange how the word "octane" became anything to do with "higher performance". It's pretty simple - with the engine burning fuel with the required octane, it will simply perform as designed and intended. Lower octane = pre-ignition and can be detrimental to the internals; higher octane = slower-burning (ignition). In some cases I've heard with people using too-high an octane fuel, unburnt fuel reaches the cat. and ignites, causing excess carbon build-up and probable failure. That definitely goes against anything anyone has ever suggested regarding filling a tank every-so-often to "clean" the internals - in this case, it could be doing the exact opposite. Besides, octane has no cleaning properties...it's not to suggest that lower octane fuel is less pure than higher octane. That just makes no sense.

Here, when I said that stuff was nasty I wasn't kidding. Here's what someone else had to say about MEK:

i would try some MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) on it, but carefully cause it would ruin rubber seals or glue used to hold lenses on metal frames or whatever. MEK is used to strip paint off of boat hulls, but can be bought in smallish cans at any Loews or Home Depot. Also be caref ul becaus eit is extremely volitile, very fume-ish, and could possibly kill you. It will burn after prolonged contact with skin and melt plastic (I am assuming you are tlaking about cleaning glass lenses here)

In my major, we use it to glue plastic prototype models together after we design something.

I can get the MSDS for you as well if you would like. I'm telling you man, as someone who's worked with MEK regularly in a lab setting its not something you should drop into your gas tank.

Well I went out and bought some toluene and mineral spirits and mixed up a batch. I probably put 20 oz in half a tank with just 87 octane and I can definately feel a difference.

I'm looking into things more closely to see if I can come up with something better, cause an octane boost only helps so much. Definately got me thinking now :idea:

i remember my old 2-stroke moped.

1986 yamaha jog, had an 80-cc bore kit, quicker speed takeoff clutch, higher top end gearing, BOS pipes, decked head, GYT-R decompression valve, super hot spark plugs, liquid cooling, dual ignition, home-made coil-over in the back, quad sringarm with gas shocks on the front fork (also home-made).

great toy for me and my buddies to play with, too bad it wasnt very reliable... used to take me 20 minutes to start (super high compression and tolerances), had a penchant for flaming out, and stalling. (reason for the de-comp valve, had to use it like a clutch at stop lights), but god damn, it was fun.

and as for the type of fuel we ran it on...

we would buy 3 cans of super 104+ "racing formula" and fill that motherfuker up. mixed in 20/80 style isopropyl alcohol, and yamaha racing 2-stroke oil in the oil tank. i'll betcha your car can't do 0-60 to in 5 seconds! oh, and the top speed on my moped was 89. and the best part, it dosent require a licence in indiana, cause it's "under 50cc" :twisted:

Well I went out and bought some toluene and mineral spirits and mixed up a batch. I probably put 20 oz in half a tank with just 87 octane and I can definately feel a difference.

If you felt any differance at all its only because your fuel system and intake were dirty to begin with. On a properly running 3.1 or 3.4 DOHC octane won't make a bit of a differance as long as its at least 87.

my mom's paint shop used to use MEK. That was the strongest paint stripper they had. No joke. I would have to change my latex gloves about every 20 min cause they would be trashed. Now they can't even used it. It caused my mom to have a tumor in her neck. Not sure if it was banned due to the health risks or its flamabililty and strength. Don't use the shit or you will regret. Anything in your engine or fuel lines that is plastic or the like will be eaten very quickly. I'm sure it was used before for a performace enhancer, but how much plastics were used then.

• 8 years later...

" I have no oxygen "

First thing you've posted I'd agree with. Everything you've posted since you joined last night is just crazy.

Additionally, I think you've set a new record, responding to an EIGHT AND A HALF YEAR OLD post...