5 sp transfer again

Steve LS

Hello guys. Back in the fall I put the question up about a 5sp transfer to a TGP. Interchangability and like that. I passed on the TGP through serious self contol only and value of life (wife). I'm still cookin up a long term project though and I'm starting to gather pieces.

Questions -

A shaft called "intermediate shaft" was mentioned and was not interchangable with Bererta trans. Whats the intermediate shaft ? I know what a input shaft is and the two half shafts or drive axels.

So what is the difference for bolting up flywheel, clutch and bellhousing anyhow.If using a Beretta trans ?

I assume the drive axels are different lenghts between the two cars but do they attach differently ? They just slide into the trans housing right ? Is there a difference between the standard and auto drive shafts ?

Berettas for parts are around these days , GP's with 5 speeds are like trying to find diamonds out in the front yard. Can the parts that need to be changed bought new?

How much power can one of those trannys take provided you dont drop the clutch ?

Hello guys. Back in the fall I put the question up about a 5sp transfer to a TGP. Interchangability and like that. I passed on the TGP through serious self contol only and value of life (wife). I'm still cookin up a long term project though and I'm starting to gather pieces.

Questions -

A shaft called "intermediate shaft" was mentioned and was not interchangable with Bererta trans. Whats the intermediate shaft ? I know what a input shaft is and the two half shafts or drive axels.

So what is the difference for bolting up flywheel, clutch and bellhousing anyhow.If using a Beretta trans ?

I assume the drive axels are different lenghts between the two cars but do they attach differently ? They just slide into the trans housing right ? Is there a difference between the standard and auto drive shafts ?

Berettas for parts are around these days , GP's with 5 speeds are like trying to find diamonds out in the front yard. Can the parts that need to be changed bought new?

How much power can one of those trannys take provided you dont drop the clutch ?

The intermediate shaft is the shaft on the right hand side of the transmission that slides in to the trans case and keeps the axles equal length so you don't have lots of torque steer. On Berettas it just slides in to the case, on w-bodies it's bolted to the case. The axles will be a hybrid you will have to make.

I suggest you find a w-body trans, because there is another difference, the clutch slave cylinder. If you find a w-body trans most of the other stuff will be there, whcih is good because you will have trouble locating a new parts like a clutch pedal, etc...It's not too hard to find a 5-speed w-body, you probably passed on by last time you were in a yard...you almost have to look at every w-body (mainly two doors).

Before I took my engine out, it was dynoed at 202HP and 275 FT lbs at the wheels with a 5-speed and a turbo 3.1. Once I pulled the trans/engine out I saw the clutch was worn, but not too bad. And it was an OEM clutch. A better clutch would be suggested if building up the engine...maybe Clutch Masters?

Check out my website in the performance section, there is an writeup for the 5-speed swap I did.

Jason

http://www.turboste.com

I agree...a W-body tranny would be easiest.

I DO NOT recommend the CenterForce Dual Friction clutch package!! It is a streetable clutch, but only seems to handle about 4 hard runs and it will get real hot and slip badly! It will come back to full sticktion (if that is a word) after about 400 miles of normal street use... 8)

I saw a 3.4 5-speed 92 GTP yesterday her in Texas at the Salvage. It was

in the car which I finally found a nice louvered hood already painted black for only $125. I'm happy to have it, sorry to see such a collectable car go to the grave. It was at Action auto salvage, and I found it on car-part.com or was it carparts.com ?. I found it from the link on Jeorge's site , thanks Jeorge. MJ

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a clutch then get the sc112 or sc 113------> (what I am getting). http://www.starclutch.com/ or net. They are $319 stage 2 $339 stage 3. I already had the stage 2 on another gm vehicle and it was very nice, light clutch feel, and no chatter. These clutches are available for all GM. You also get a new/better/stronger hydraulic release bearing which is known to go bad in all GM camaro, cavalier, etc... when a lot of racing is involved. You get a nice bright yellow pressure plate, hydraul release bearing and clutch.