4t60E longevity?

loominaz34

I drive like a bat out of hell (according to what music I'm listening to, often :lol: ) and my tranny is alright. It's not an -E tranny, but it's very smooth.

The problem is that when it's cold, it won't shift out of second, and often won't shift out of first, if I decide to floor it getting on the highway...

• 18 years later...
On 6/8/2004 at 5:12 PM, Brian P said:

Damn, don't listen to people that think it'll last like another 6 months. Ignorance here I swear. What the hell proof can you show ME that the tranny will last "only another 10k?"

The common things that kill these trannys stem from running it low on fluid, keeping bad fluid in, accumulator spring failure on the 1-2 (pre '90 only and some 4T60E's '93-96) and neutral dropping. How bad was the fluid when you changed it? Never do a full flush on a trans that has fluid turning brown. I've done pan drops/filter changes on 4T60 trannys that have had browned fluid and done it every 10-15k miles until the fluid looks red again. However I do a lot of driving, you may want to shorten the intervals to 5k-8k.

Cutlass #1 (mine) my '90- original tranny lasted 220,000 miles, lost 3rd gear, which stemmed from the 1-2 accumulator spring being broken since the day I got it (never knew about the potential problem until too late)- 3rd gear uses a combo of the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator pistons to shift.

Cutlass #2 (mine) '89- 155k tranny still works, but the accumulator spring was broken. I replaced it and shifts firmed up real nice.

Cutlass #3 (mine) '95: 98k like brand new. just put a tranny cooler on it for extra cooling.

Cutlass #4 (moms) '95: killed it at 110k due to running it almost fully out of fluid and not checking it. 1-2 shift virtually non existant.

Cutlass #5 (sisters) '93: 130k- bought with 103k on the clock and bad fluid. Did 2 fluid changes since then- tranny is like new.

Than there's about a half dozen 4T60/ 4T60E cars I know of thru friends and relatives. All with the same types of stories.

Almost 20 years late, but do you think it would be wise to replace the 1-2 accumulator spring in a 96 Buick Regal with the 3.8? 

6 hours ago, GTP091 said:

Brian hasn’t been here for 8 years.  You’d have a much better response to your question by starting your own thread 

Thank you for letting me know. Solid community here!