Convertible Problems

91CuttyConv

Hi All,

My 1991 Cutlass Convertible seems to be leaking durring freezing temps. I am located near Chicago, and at least for this year, I am forced to drive the convertible through the winter. It never leaks durring rain or while I am washing it but as soon as the temp outside drops below 32 the seals along the top of the door glass leak real bad. Problem is major on drivers side and only minor as passenger. The glass is adjusted to fit tightly. My guess is something to do with the seals freezing as this only happens with the temp is below 32. Has anyone else had these problems and/or does anyone know of a solution? Thanks

Jason

Guest Anonymous

Take a blow dryer and warm the seals up. When there all thawed and dry rub little wd-40 on the seals with your finger. That will keep them from freezing. My cousin had this problem with an old Chevelle 'vert and it worked for him.

Actually the best thing you can use is a tire cleaner. Get a good quality foaming agent. If you can remove the seals do that. Spray them and let them sit over night. I reccomend this to anyone for use on any weather stripping.

Also if you need some parts, I know a guy in the area that may have some parts as he is parting out a convt.

I will try those things with the seals. BTW, what year is that convertible thats being parted out? I have a 1991 and according to GM the 90-91 convertible parts vary from later models. I could some seals, if in good condtion and I could use the rear quarter glass for both sides if the seals are still attached and not pulled away. Thanks!

Jason

• 3 years later...

put some petroleum jelly on the weatherstripping, works wonders! (i dont know about it eating away rubber, its been on mine for months)

where at is this guy in chicago.. im around there.. does he have an email or something? and also.. what color is the car? does it have a good drivers side fender.. mines totally fucked!