What aftermarket exhaust?

MotorCityMike

I want to get rid of my stock muffler. It is only the single outlet one. I want more power and a somewhat agressive tone, but quiet at highway speeds. I have a few buddies that own exhaust shops so I can get whatever I need, but I just wanted to know what some of your experiences were...

Thanks

Mike

i still prefer flowmaster to dynomax... im thinking about doin a dual system using flowmaster 80s series race mufflers with dual outputs. i like the sound, and they flow quite well. if not looking for alot of sound, the 40 series delta flow are nice as well

Ive never heard a rice sound come out of a flowmaster on a GM V6. And Ive heard at least 4 variations of it including 2.8, 3.1, DUHOHC. All sounded fine to me. ANyone have a .wav of one of these engines with the super dynoturbo or whatever?

Has anyone used Summit Racing Turbo mufflers?

Jon

Summit mufflers are junk. A friend of mine has a tubbed Ford Bronco II that went 12.30's then he changed to a Spintech muffler and picked up .3 and went 12.0 just by a muffler change. Plus they sound like poop.

What about flowmasters. I heard one with dual 40s, sounded nice. What do others think.

I am able to get my hands on some dynomax turbos i think, but the inlet/outlets are off. CAn these go on at all? How much are they new?

Jon

I have twin MagnaFlows on my TGP and they are real quiet at highway and growl a little at low RPMs. That is with a Turbo and Cat. I am hopefully going to gut the cat tonight and I will let you know the tone then. Turbo cars are quieter because the Exhaust fan in the Turbo blocks the sound waves...N/A cars will be louder... 8)

Well I've decided what I want to do...

Picture two Z28 rectangular tips welded together, centered under the middle of the bumper underneath the license plate.. I can use a Magnaflow with two outlets. The look will be similar to a 69 GT500 Shelby that had the center outlet exhaust. Oh, and I'm going to paint the tips black.

Wish I had a pic of the back of a Lumina so I could photoshop some on :(

Guest TurboSedan

you can always cut the bumper. i'm going to cut mine on the drivers side since i only have single exhaust now. i don't want to pay big $$$ for a dual exhaust rear bumper when i can just measure 3 times and cut once.

btw, are you sure you want one single outlet in the middle? wouldn't that look like a pooper?

joshua

nono :shock: The spare tire well is going to get in his way. THere's no way of getting around that unless you bend it up or something. Also mounting the muffler is going to have to be rigged up somehow. The center exhaust reminds me of the older ughly BMW's which have replaced mufflers that are NEVER quite centered!

Guest TurboSedan
nono :shock: The spare tire well is going to get in his way. THere's no way of getting around that unless you bend it up or something. Also mounting the muffler is going to have to be rigged up somehow. The center exhaust reminds me of the older ughly BMW's which have replaced mufflers that are NEVER quite centered!

duh! :oops: i didn't even think about that. Brian, when the center exhaust subject came up i was actually thinking of those old BMW's with the slightly off center exhuast....kinda wierd looking. :)

joshua

What I was thinking of doing was using a single 2 1/2" in and dual 2 1/4" out magnaflow in the stock location, running the tailpipes up behind the bumper area and to the tips. I have looked up uder the car and from what I can see my idea should work. You won't even see the muffler very much, if at all. You should see some of the center outlet jobs my buddy has done. They all sound and look unique in their own way on every car/truck he's done. I'll post pics when its done.

Ive never heard a rice sound come out of a flowmaster on a GM V6. And Ive heard at least 4 variations of it including 2.8, 3.1, DUHOHC. All sounded fine to me. ANyone have a .wav of one of these engines with the super dynoturbo or whatever?

I can compare the sound of 40 series 2 chamber flows on ANY gm v6 to sound utterly like shit...if you can prove otherwise i would love to hear them because i stil have yet to heard a decent sounding exhaust for my car. Flows sound horrible..the pop and crackle..its disgusting.

They sounded fine on my 3.2. Then again the engine wasn't throwing out the same sounds as the stock motor....The sound was very controlled with exceptional boat noises(yes these GM V6's for th most part sounds like outboards), I also gained a good amount of power considering what I used to have working with the new equipment. My car didn't sound like your typical 40 series Flow GM V6.

I have one 3 inch 40 series flowmaster on my Turbo STE. I think the sound of the mufflers has a lot to do with location. For example, my Flowmaster is in the place of the cat because I don't need emissions testing. It sounds pretty mean. Of course, the turbo might be helping with that too.

Jason

I have one 3 inch 40 series flowmaster on my Turbo STE. I think the sound of the mufflers has a lot to do with location. For example, my Flowmaster is in the place of the cat because I don't need emissions testing. It sounds pretty mean. Of course, the turbo might be helping with that too.

Jason

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a chambered muffler such as a Flowmaster is the worse thing for a turbo application. Ask around to people that know and I'm sure you will find that a Dynomax Ultraflow or any other straight thru design is the best for horsepower in a turbo application.

Jason

One thing that makes the flowmaster sound contained is getting one the right size for the pipe and making sure there are no leaks. For some reason my particular engine(not stock) sounded great with the flowmasters on not to mention the extra power that was gained in my case. Very contained...But to me personally nothing sounds better than the GM muffler, it just would be nice if it had a specific path instead of migrating though those tubes.

Well, I am in the process of having the cat and the resonator removed....shoulf i just have a 3 inch pipe ran back to a equal dritribution y pipe that splits in to two 2.5", and run 2 2.5" flow masters after the y? Or would it sound better with no cat no resonator and just 2" flowmasters? I have been in search of a decent sound exhaust for my high winding 3.4 scince i purchased the car, but everything i have heard sounds like shit.

It all depends on what quality of work you get done and as to what sound you really like....first off considering displacement, theres no need for a 3 inch exhaust on anyone of these cars and you'll lose hp and gain more racket. 2.5 is as far as I'd go. I think that the 2.25 stock is nice, thats if your motor is signifcanlty, outright thowing out so much more exhaust.

I like the converter myself because the ones today, even the ones from GM are not that restrictive if at all, and they truley save the atmopshere. Since the early 80's, the freeflow monolithic design was introduced. GM's catalyst acts as a kind of resonator, partially the reason its so big, either that or its to make sure that the exhaust is being completely converted...The newer style replacement catalysts are small and use that monolithic free flowing design, and they are pretty much the same thing through out. No matter what the manufacturer is that you get it from its, usually, Maremont or Walker that makes them, esspecially since they are OE. Using these will make the car louder, while still picking up some resonances but not as much as the GM unit.

As far as mufflers, I personally don't like the sounds of magneflow, because it makes the engine loose its sound character completely...kinda turns it into a mitsushitsy. Borla...I never hard it on a GM V6 so I don't know..But I do know they are too much. Flowmasters, I think from inside the car they sound great. Outside depends on who does the welding, also you need to get the propersize. As far as them working, I loved them and they did what they were supposed to do.

What I'd recommend is either keep the stock converter and remove the resonator, or for the most sound get the smaller catalyst from any parts store and use the stock resonator this is if you are going to go with a flowmaster. With a flowmaster on these motors, infact with any exhaust unless the engine just doesn't make those high frequency sounds, you'd kinda want something before it to cancel some of the high frequency sounds(converter or resonator). But on my car, I didn't have to worry toomuch about the sound quality, I guess it's because my motor was so different. I have the small catalyst(walker), 2.25 main pipe to the 2inch y, and 2 2inch 40 series flowmasters. The car is only a hair louder than stock and it had a very nice controlled tone, and the gain in HP was just specatular for my application. I still love the stock sound, but it was too restrictive for what I had.

flowmasters sound like ass on most things short of a V8. basicly the reason they pop is because the ammount of exhaust flow that is being pushed through them. they are desinged for large displacement motors. the piping is caused by the loss of air flow. you get the same thing with a system that has large piping and is very straight threw. that is why the poping occurs when you let off the gas. if it is raspy under hard acceleration it is due to the lack of sound dampening or lack of resonator.

My car with 2.5" catback and glasspacks poped and krackled and was raspy as hell untill i added a resonator. it is a 4" round 2.5" in/out magnaflow muffler/resonator. that eliminated most of the poping and raspyness. flowmasters from my personal experience don't sound good on most of our cars.... A truck with a small block that is another story.

Magnaflow

Borla

Dynomax ultraflow

are much better choices on our cars.. and a resonator is a must.

RedZ