3.4L Crank Position Sensor Removal - HOW?

pbender

Hi All,

In the thread I started about the problem I'm having with the 3.4L in my '93 C.S. Convertable, it was suggested that I replace the Crank Position Sensor, but I'm at a loss as to how to go about getting to it.

I know the CPS is located on firewall side of the engine, but I can't even find a way to see it, let alone reach it.

I've tried to find it from the top, but the Plenum, firewall, and strut tower brace (stiffener) are in the way.

I've tried to get at it from the bottom, but qutie a few things are in the way (mainly the transaxle)

I've tried to get at it from the wheel well, but the alternator is in the way.

Now, for those of you who have done this, how did you do it?

Paul

PS I did try to search the archives, for this, but I couldn't find the answer. (And Shawn tells me the service manual says "unplug the connector, remove bolts, remove sensor." so that isn't any help)

i did it from underneath with a long extension from behind the trans and used a long flat screwdriver to pop it out of the hole from down under in between engine and tranny. there was enough room to get my big hand in there to remove it and install it so most people can get it.

test it before you remove. I'm not sure of the amount but you will need to read the amount of microvolts it sends to the ICM while someone turns the engine over.

I got 3.1 but I'm sure the location of the CKPS for the 3.4 is pretty much similar.

Once you got the connector removed and the bolt removed, I try to pull out the CKPS a little bit.

Once I got a little clearance between the CKPS and the engine block, I use a pry bar since it has curve end and allows me to pry the CKPS easily as oppose to using a screwdriver which is straight.

The location of the CKPS is block by something below it and so it you can't put the screwdriver directly straight up.

You have to put the screwdriver in an angle to pry the CKPS which might not get a good grip to pry the CKPS.

However, with the pry bar, the tip is angled about 45 degrees and so it easier to pry out the CKPS that way.

I took the right wheel off so I had enough room to move around.

Use jack stands and blocks. Should take about an hour or two.

Good luck

Great minds think alike. I've got the car up on jack stands, the right tire and spash shield have been removed. My only problem is that I can't get my arm past the alternator even from the wheel well.

So now my options seem to be to either remove the alternator (lots of work) or drop the subframe (at least on the right side) to see if I can get around it.

Paul

Well I decied I would go after the CKPS by removing the alternator.

This seems to have been a good idea, as the CKPS is actually blocked from view by the duct that is attached to the back of the alternator. Looks Like I have to pull the alternator to have enough room to wiggle it out of the way.

Without removing the half shaft, I managed to get the front two bolts loose, but now I have to figure out how to get to the back one. I have yet to find this one by feel, but I know that's what's holding the alternator in place right now. is this one that has to be reached from underneath?

Since I've gone to all the trouble of removing the alternator, I'm going to go ahead and replace the knock sensor behind it while I'm at it.

Paul

you shouldn't have to remove the alt to get the duct off.

You're right, you shouldn't (and I actually did get the duct off without taking the alternator out), but going after the CKPS through the fender well, I can't flex my arm around to the block without removing it.

Paul

Well, I finally got the old CKPS out, only to run into a new problem.

I put in a new CKPS, then went and tried to connect the plug.... It didn't work.

I pulled the new CKPS out, and compared. The pins are actually higher on the new CKPS than on the old one, otherwise they are identical.

To make matters worse, the only one any of the stores around here have in stock have the same pin placement as the new one did... and I had to find that out when the parts department at the GM dealerships are all closed :(.

Incidentally, pulling the alternator out was definatly the way for me to go. The CKPS. is almost a straight shot going between the rear alternator bracket and the transaxle.... Of course, I did have to pull the half shaft out to accomplish this.

Paul