3.4L Engine (Valve?) Noise

pbender

the noise almost sounds like a bad lifter in there honestly, also I've seen broken valve springs cause that kind of noise before too - just recently came across a car with a broken valve spring and the noise sounded almost exactly like the one in your recording...

--Dave.

damn that sucks

that is the exact same noise my 2.5 88 lebaron made when i junked it.

i drove 120 miles and a valve started to stick but not stuck and threw half my oil out of the car. by the time i reached my destination i noiced my mpg drop to 22 in that 4cyl at 60mph and new something was wrong but couldnt do anything about it.

The next day i drove to school and the tick you hear on that clip started so i checked the oil.. stick was dry so i dumped almost 3 quarts of oil in and knew i wasnt going to make it back home without overheating or breaking something in that pos motor. I towed it back 120miles home and

I pulled the valve cover off the the motor and check the lifters springs while running ect. and they seemed to be working alright. the damage now seemed to be the piston rod with that exact same tick noise. I didnt get that far into the motor to see it but i wasnt going to waist my time on a high milage dodge with a dieing pos tranny.

on a positive note you can pull the motor and rebuild it and unleash the fury of your LQ1

the noise almost sounds like a bad lifter in there honestly, also I've seen broken valve springs cause that kind of noise before too - just recently came across a car with a broken valve spring and the noise sounded almost exactly like the one in your recording...

--Dave.

Ok, that brings on two questions.

1) If this really is the problem, what's involved in fixing it?

2) If I take it somewhere, what's this going to cost me?

I think I can pretty much answer #1, since it would seem this will take pulling the heads to get at the lifters and or springs. of course, pulling the heads requries pulling the intake, and, I might as well do the oil pump drive seal while I'm at it.

I'm probably capable of doing this myself, but, I'm getting ready to sell my other car, so I'm not sure exactly how much longer I'll have transportation to go on parts runs (and I'm not sure I have money for parts until I sell the other car...)

Paul

Im sorry but that wav you psted almost made me sick. maybe its cuz mine made that the day before it seized. Only thing i can suggest is check your oil. but im sure you tried that looong ago :?

Hey Paul, move back to Springfield and I'll help ya fix it!!!

Unfortunately, I have some pretty good experience with taking stuff off the 3.4 DOHC (but not lately, knock on wood). Hopefully it's in the top end and not bottom end!

Hey Paul, move back to Springfield and I'll help ya fix it!!!

Hehe.. well, that's going to be at least another 4 years :D.

Hopefully I can get it driving again before then.

Paul

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

*memories* I've heard that sound before! I heard it not that long ago! For awhile I thought it might go away, denial! Then I tried to figure out what it could be, acceptance!! Then it got worse, anger!! Then it went "URK" and quit, reality!!

Dunno dude, sounds terminal to me. Mine made the same sound. Uncanny really! Except the half wit I bought it off of drove it around for awhile until it started making a bit of a metal on metal screech to go along with that tick. The oil in the pan was alot heavier when I checked it too. (if ya know what I mean)

Course, y'never know. Maybe it'll go away!! :lol: :lol:

Hey, I know........do a S/C 3.8 swap!!! EH? EH? HUH?