turn signals not working

93 Grand Prix

Last night, I got pulled over, and I turned on my flashers. After I drove off, it was time to use my turn signals, but they didn't work. Dud I blow a fuse? Please help, I don't need to get pulled over again!

i got some help on this one as well

just after i bought my cutty the signals stopped working.

i asked and stuff at gmforum about this but with me being pressed for time and such as i was taking a trip on the following weekend i just took it to the dealer. bad idea.

new part was 130 and labor almost matched that. plus i had them fix a couple other things. bill totalled about 260.

now comes the 20/20 hindsight

that is a part that salvage yards carry and i am guessing they are cheaper. or go to a parts store and get it yourself. i am guessing still cheaper than from the dealer.

the steering wheel puller ranges in price from about 8 bux to about 25. all depends on where you get it from and the quality you buy.

but in the end i would buy or rent the puller (if you have a parts place around you that rents tools) then pull the wheel and clean the contacts up as suggested. if that does not work then buy the parts yourself and do it yourself.

much cheaper.

wish i had done that.

then i could have saved money and bought the FDP chip sooner

Monty

Parts stores don't carry the part. Only Napa did, I think, but it was almost as much as from the dealer. Cleaning is still the best solution.

I used a Dremel with a wire brush and covered everything in dielectric grease to keep future corrosion down. Worked like a charm.

Yep. And you get a nifty steering wheel puller for future projects.

Unless you went totally cheap and rented it...

I bought it, I still have to fix the wiper switch in my Astro van...

First things first, check your fuses and bulbs. If it's not them, replace your turn signal flasher. It's up in the dash, on the side of the steering column. You have to come at it from the bottom, and it isn't easy to get to, but it's cheap (only a few bucks at the part store), and sounds like it's the problem.

Mine did this exact same thing, FWIW. The flasher was my problem.

The flasher for the turn signals is where I said above. The flasher for the hazard liights is under the passenger side dash, in I remember correctly.

I agree with prior posts to check the fuses, bulbs, etc. If none of them need to be changed, there is a problem that my friend had on his '95 Lumina. The problems he experienced were very bizarre. Not only did his turn signals not work, but the only brake light he had was the high center one.

The culprit was located behind the steering wheel. It appeared that when the hazard button was depressed, the plastic of the turn signal switch cracked around the screws, so the contacts were not being made. His was just slightly cracked and was repairable with an epoxy (JB Weld, if you have room to apply it). Hope this helps.

Tony Graczyk

'94 Cutlass SL

Wait, Wait Wait,,, Since you state the problem happened right AFTER you used the Hazard Flashers.... Try this...... Make sure the Hazard Flasher switch is ALL the way in the OFF position...... If the HF switch is halfaway between.... the turn signals will not work right!!!!!! :idea: 8)