Convertible tops

GnatGoSplat

Now that I have a convertible, I've been looking at other convertibles on the road. The top on mine is not perfect... it has some deterioration of the vinyl on the edges.

I've noticed most newer cars (Eclipse, F-body, Sebring, Mercedes, etc.) are using a fabric/canvas top. To me, it actually looks like a lot higher quality than vinyl. I did an internet search, and it turns out the canvas not only looks better (IMO), but is more durable, lasts longer, and costs more.

Has anyone ever replaced a vinyl top with canvas on a Cutlass convertible? Got pics?

Anyone know where to get a high-quality canvas top that fits a Cutlass convertible perfectly?

Hey Gnat...

This guy sells very good quality tops http://aabestco.com/intro/introconvertibletop.htm I bought a vinyl top from him for my Turbo Sunbird Convertable. Was really stout material and he had all of the padding and gussets you will need for a proper install. I have seen an Aqua colored Cutty in Colorado Springs that has a black "Stafast cloth" top. It is the fabric that the European cars use and is very nice. I could try to track down the car, but the chances are slim. Sorry. It looked very nice and I think it drastically improved the look of the car.

The Stafast tops cost a bit more, but I think well worth it!! 8)

I don't know if this helps any, but the 1995 Cutlass convertible that I was going to buy about 2 years ago had a canvas top on it. The guy at the dealer said that it came from the factory with it. It was the dark green car with the beige top.

Taylor

Damn, that's all a new top costs? Shit.. I thought it would be at least twice or 3 times that price!

Mine's got some stitching around both sides that's come undone. That side tension cable is visable every time I put the top back up, so I gotta push it back up under the vinyl.

Are they that hard to put on? Or is it something that should be done by a pro?

Are they that hard to put on? Or is it something that should be done by a pro?

I'm wondering the same thing!

$280 for a nice canvas top in minty fresh condition sounds worthwhile, even though my top isn't that bad.

Hey guys...

When I did the top on my Sunbird it was not to bad at all! I had never done one before either. I don't know about the Stafast tops, but the vinyl tops have to be stretched evenly and in a certain order. The Cutty looks like it has a hidden top across the trunk and above the rear quarters. The Sunbird was exposed and this made it real easy!! The only thing you will run into with the hidden that I know of is you have to go in through the trunk to staple or glue the top. Just makes for a little more timely of an ordeal. I also see in the Ebay picture that there are side pads that go in between the top and the convertable framing. Make sure you buy new padding! My Sunbird had two sets of tension cables. I did not need the long ones that run the side just over the windows...but the little ones that pull the top to the small back windows were in bad shape and had to be replaced.

Do you guys have glass in the rear window? Mine was a plastic window so I do not know how to check the fabric of the glass to ensure it will hold up. Check also to see if the rear window is a vinyl trim and if it is exposed. Most likely you will need to talk to the guy at AA-Best to see what you will need to make it all Stafast because the window is a seperate part of the top. Once you buy all of the padding, cables and sutch I would think you will be into it about $500. Personally I would do it just because I hate to pay people to do something for me that I can eventually figure out on my own. That is me though... 8)

Lucky for you that is all that is wrong with your top. My frame is cracked in two places. GM wants to charge me $1400 for the drivers side and $1600 for the passenger side. The cheapest frame I could find was $1200 at a salvage yard but that was 900 miles away. Well I do have a new stafast top waiting to go on when I finally get a new frame or find someone good enough to weld mine.

I will give the address for the stafast top if anyone would like it. It cost me about $600.

CStyle73... I know a guy in Chicago that has a cutty convt he is parting out. It is a 92. I am sure he has the frame and will sell it for like a $100 or so. Don't quote me on it, but I have bought a lot from this guy and he is pretty cool. E-mail me and I will ask him for you.

dustynshayne@cox.net

Be sure to tell me who you are in the e-mail....lol

I would give you $100 just to hook it up.

If you lived closer I would do your interior for free. Tnaks a lot man.

:fruity: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :fruity:

Drop me a line at the above address. And send me a pic if you can. I am from Indiana and go there often. Chi town is only a few hrs away for me. Any my Aunt and Uncle live there, so they could even get it for me.

I e-mail the guy last night and he is going to check it out, wanted pics though. So if you can find some, even from the factory, it would be most beneficial. We may be able to work out the interior too. :-) :P :P :P :P

Is that the only part you need? I dont think it will be a problem at all if that is the only piece. Let me know asap and I will e-mail him with it as soon as I get home...it will be before lunch

Yeah, that's all I need. That piece was broken when I bought the car, so we've been reluctant to put the top down (although it will - just afraid something else might break with that piece broken). It's approximately in the upper right corner of the rear "C" pillar area. The assembly appears to be held in with big phillips screws.

Let's see if I can explain this:

I really couldn't tell from the pictures so I'll describe what is broke. If you ripped off all the top and was left with nothing but the metal frame I need the part on the rear passenger side all the way in the rear where that small glass window rests. It is right where the hydraulics pull down on the frame. Sort of triangle shaped. I took some pics but now I can't find the cord for the digital cam (Murphy's Law is always against me) also cracked right behind where you latch the top to the windshield.

GnatGoSplat.... I can get that piece, no problem. Look above and e-mail me for the price and we will work it out...

Cstyle...e-mail me if you can get the pics. He is willing to work with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sailor, I emailed you awhile back but didn't hear anything.

Can you still get the part?

I'd like to be able to put the top down with confidence so I'd really like to get it. Right now the top goes down, but I'm nervous about it.

Thanks.

If the guy is still parting out the cutty convertible, I wouldn't mind buying the "dome light" from the passive roll bar. The switches in mine are stuck and the lights won't come on. Thanks.

That's a common problem with the Cutty convertibles, I don't know hardly any that still have working roll bar domelights. That's because the switches are 100% plastic except the contacts, and the contacts get too hot and melts the plastic so they get all warped and won't push in anymore.

Once I can find my rubber buttons (they got lost in the move) I will reassemble my domelight and post pics and instructions on how to fix it.