Symptoms of a BAD MAP Sensor??

gmrulz4u

Has anyone ever had to replace their MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor? And if so, what problems were you experiencing??

I'm suspecting mine is bad. If you've read any of my last posts, you'll know that my car died on Friday, and hasn't started since.

I'm getting really frustrated with regards to my ECM though. It has NEVER given me a SINGLE OBD Trouble Code!! My Coolant Temp. Sensor went, my O2 sensor went, my EGR valve went, etc...and NEVER a single code!?? WTF??

I've read that a MAP can cause: no start, hesitation, erratic idles, fuel starvation, etc...but just getting the general consensus with you guys...

Correct me if I'm wrong with this:

The ECM, with regards to some things, OUTPUTS commands/data, and with others, gets INPUTS, correct? So an ECM commands how long the fuel injectors stay OPEN, but cannot command the MAP sensor to be at a certain value, right? And vise-versa, the ECM cannot get any INPUT from the fuel injectors, but does get INPUT from the MAP sensor, correct??

If it isn't my MAP Sensor, which I'm "hoping" it is(it's cheap and easy), than my next guess would be my ECM.

If you guys haven't read my last messages, PLEASE DO!!:)

http://www.worldzone.net/auto/olds/owners/brewer.html

I am afraid i may not be of help, casue i havea question of my own...

woud my computer possibly not show a return on a bad map sensor and just try to adjust to compensate for it?

A bad MAP should be detected by the ECM.

Only a bad ignition module, bad ECM, bad fuel pump, or blown ignition fuse are the only things I can think of that would not be detected by the ECM and cause a cranks, but no start condition.

also check that ignition module i changed everything from fuel filter and fuel relay and all new vaccum lines and coolant temp sensor and cooling fan relays and map sensor also i changed the o2 sensor before i thought it is the igniton module it is prolly that does it kinda run good then wham it stalls on ya and then it don't wanna start and then when you get it to start it will run alright then after like an hour it stalls and and same over and over then it is the ignition module

My turn to pic on you a little "stlunatics2oo3." There are natural breaks in puctuation that make non punctuated stuff easy to read, and I'm certainly no expert but....(dots are my favorite break)....I get lost and have to re-read yours over a couple times or more. Just throw us a comma, period, or ....once in awhile.....please.

• 2 weeks later...

hey-gmrulz4u,

Did you figure out if it was your MAP sensor yet??

I have issues with my 2.8 right now..... It's hard to start, and when it does, it has a horrible idle, no power, then stalls...