Key Question

digitaloutsider

Hey guys, I was thinking about something. If I were to go to a dealer, would they be able to cut me factory keys? I don't want the cheap non-OEM looking keys you get at Home Depot, I'm talking about the real deal. Will they do it?

Dealers might I havent ever seen any key cutting equipment at any local dealers, a Local lockshop here has all the original logo keys no ilco, or axxess crap..........they even have the gold caddy keys

So you could try local locksmioths but ask b4 you buy

Go with your VIN number and the dealership can get you keys made I think its kinda expensive.

Also have 2 pieces of id + ownership. Atleast thats what the dealers around her require. Good luck.

I know GM dealers have keys waiting to be cut laying around. I saw one on monday when I was cleaning the shelves in the parts department.

The previous owner of my car had to order keys from GM because he didn;t get any when he bought it. I think 1 set cost him $20.

YES the dealer should be able to get the original key blanks. The parts department at almost every dealer I've gone to has key cutting equipment.

I don't know how much the blanks cost, but it cost me $5.00 to get a Chevy key cut for my truck.

A few years ago, I bought 2 bulk packs of GM W-body key blanks. Interesting thing is they're made by Briggs & Stratton.

I'd get a couple of copies from the dealer and if they can, a copy of the codes to cut them. My 96 Aurora came with one key, and one remote. I thought I had lost them and took my VIN, ID, ownership in and they said "Sure $35 bucks and you'll be out the door.."

They looked up my VIN and my car was one of 600 Auroras that GM randomly "lost" the key codes to. If it wasn't for someone finding them and turning them in at the grocery store (thank god for those annoying "perks" cards) I would have been paying an outrageous amount of money to be able to drive my car again. So yeah, moral of the story, get extras and codes especially if your key has the chip in it just in case GM's computers flush your codes.

I don't want the cheap non-OEM looking keys you get at Home Depot, I'm talking about the real deal.

I see them now & then on eBay. In the eBay search window, enter something like: (lumina, grand prix, regal, cutlass, gm, chevy, chevrolet) (key, keys, blank, blanks) - delete or add any appropriate terms; you never know what wording the seller will use. Then get them cut locally.

it depends where you go, when i got my ciera the chepo non Oem keys i got with it were real worn down, i went to one gm dealer, like $6 apiece! i went to the other GM dealer local to me i got both cut for about $6, and they restored the teeth back to how they origionally were, all i needed was the cheepo keys and they were able to make new ones.

When I needed a door key for my Formula, the dealership quoted me $5 for a door key and $25 for the ignition.

w00t good, cause all I need is the door key! :D

I don't know how much I paid for the Montana's PKIII key... that was expensive as hell.

Those prices were for lost keys too, they were gonna have to use the key code to make them. When my sister was looking to get a spare passkey made for her prix, she went to a differant dealership and they quoted her $50. Just try not to go to one of those dealerships where right when you park your car there are 4 salesmen running towards you trying to sell you a car. Those places are expensive.

Interesting thing is they're made by Briggs & Stratton.

Some in Milwaukee/West Allis some in Mexico, not easy to get a job there, they want to move engine manufactuer to china because Cali would like catalytic convertors on all small engines, Briggs says they cant build it cheap enough here :roll:

Some of these California liberals/envirometalist wackos should be silenced, I'm hoping Bush intervenes

Im very glad my 95 GTP doesnt have those rediculous GM oversize novelty ignition keys, My brothers Regal has those and its like a 91 ?

I love my "GM Standard" rectangular head ignition key, the one they one GM used for like 40 years, think they cut any of those twice :shock: , however my ignition key is plastic coated and not just the steel rectangular key

I can tell you one problem that you may have getting original keys at the dealer.

On older cars such as ours, dealers are beginning to keep the same generic key blanks that the locksmiths cary, when they run out of the originals.

Case and point:

I purchased an S-10 that had the rubber coated small square heads like the ones that they had in the 1980's and on up.

I wanted a set of original looking keys, and for many years I had just gone to the dealers because they had the same keys that came with the vehicle when it was new, and also because they don't stamp the locksmith companys name on the head or shank, which is a dead giveaway that it is a copy.

I gave them my rather worn originals, and they cut a set for me charging me about five dollars for a rubber headed ignition key, and a standard chrome oval lock key, which is how the keys were when the truck was new.

I paid five dollars for the set, and when I got home, I noticed that the keys that I had purchased from a dealer had "For GM Cars - Curtis" on the head, not the GM in the square that was on the original. I phoned to ask them why they were not GM keys and the explanation that they gave me went something to the effect of that they could not order just one or two of a certain type of key, that they had to order at least 50 per GM. (I phoned a Pontiac dealer to confirm this, just to make sure, and they told me the same story when I inquired about getting keys cut.)

The fellow at the parts counter then went on to say that when a car gets past about five years old, that the call for dealer cut keys virtually ceases. So if it is what they consider an "odd" key, like the rubber headed triangular ones, they just do what locksmiths do and buy the generic ones(Which are much cheaper according to him) for the stragglers that still want them to cut keys. I do know that the original triangle head keys are getting virtually impossible to find at dealers or locksmiths now. I had to go to three dealerships to find one that had a original triangle key with the same letter as I needed for my Lumina.

Now even the rubber headed square keys are getting hard to come by that are not knockoffs. I rented a 2001 Lumina, and the keys that the dealer had cut were Curtis keys. This car is three years old and the dealer cuts repro keys for it. Go figure. It seems that they take into account more the age of the style of the key, than the model of the car. Go figure.

I hope this sheds a little light on it for you.

• 19 years later...

19 years later, I recently had to do this (2 days ago) for my 91 vert. I called a locksmith, gave them my vin and they brought my door/trunk keys to me. It was $225 plus tax.

Edited by stantmann