Rear Caliper problem...Help

Jon89le

On my dads '94 Z34 the rear caliper pistons wont go in for beans. He tried using a big C-clamp and nothing. He needs to get the piston in so that the pads will fit over the rotor. Anyone have a clue as to how to get the piston compressed? TIA

You need to turn the pistons and make them retract. You can get a cheap tool that fits on the end of a 3/8 drive ratchet. If turning doesn't work, buy new calipers. A real PIA-good luck.

i think you have to rotate them... i havent had a problem getting them back, but i have seen others mention rotating the piston, but you have to be careful, IIRC, you have to do it a certain way...

Search Function Baby!!!

- Justin

I was doing mine today( but the bleeder valve busted off in the piston).......you can also disconnect the lever arm for the e brake by removing one nut......then you can compress the piston

If you've reamed on the caliper with a c-clamp, you may need to replace the caliper eventually anyway. I accidenlty made the newber mistake of doing so with a c-clamp. Apparently it messed up the piston and/or the piston bore and eventually it seized up(I usually apply the e-brake every time I park and it didn't release when all that happened) and crap, did that make ALOT of smoke and a nasty smell. The wheel was pretty darn hot after that too. So I had to replace the caliper.

there is a better tool than the box

rear brake caliper loader at autozone free to rent as long as you put the $37 down when you bring it back you get that money back

27111 i think is the part #

Wow...what a bunch of dumbass' we are. We had forgotten to untighten the bleeder valve. As soon as we loosened it up it started going down. I went out and bought that box tool for 12$. Its wierd because i never used that tool on my GP. But we got them on. Hawk HP pads on all four corners with Brembo rotors out back. Hopefully this car will stop better than my GP and the damn Ceramic pads i have on. Great for zero dust and fade but crappy for stopping. Thanks for the help :D