Gauge Cluster Swap

conley3.1

I have a first gen base Lumina, and it has the crappy guages (85 mph speedo, no tach, etc) but at the junkyard today, i scored a set of gauges with tach and 115 speedo from another Lumina... i hope that i can swap these out, is there a way to hook up them up properly?

All ya should need to do is drop the new gauge in, and check on Oil pressure sender, and water temp. sender.. (If equipped) If it has the volt meter, that gauge will work right away.. I did this swap in a 1987 Pontiac 6000 and I only needed to swap the oild and water senders from their original switches. Good luck..

eh. a little rewiring is necessary. I too, also have a granny package, but i have a cluster from a euro that i bought from whiskey river. You have to rewire the connector or something like that. here is his post on it

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51498#51498

i have not tried it out yet, but if i ever get to it, i will let you know the difficulty :) i heard a paper clip is your best friend for changing the connector pins.

John

Hmm, anybody got a spare wiring harness off a junk car you're willing to part with? :o Hope so

You'll spend far more time rerouting a new harness from a donor car then you will rewiring the connector. The firewall plug for the harness is located behind the blower on the firewall. All of that would need to come out to access the plug. Your best bet is to rewire the connector. It took me about 2 hours overall but I had to fight with finding/making a tool that would release the pins from the connector and the going out and buying oil and temperature senders. If you have any questions about the swap just ask, it's not that hard, really.

What I found a nice tool to do the job is a small allen wrench (Not sure of the size.. About the dimensions of a peperclip) This also works on the radio wiring harness as well!

You will need one wire from another cars harness to split the power( you can rig it if you like). Run a wire for the tach and change the oil pressure and collant temp sensors.

To install the guages should take about 30min to and hour and it isn't hard to do. I've got I diagram with the pinouts of both the base and guages cluster, but it becomes unreadable when I upload it so if you want it I'll have to email it to ya. It looks so much better and you know whats going on.

edit: you need two wires one for tach one for power

My UB3 cluster [full digital] for my Regal used a different connector than the base cluster. The difference was in the plastic grooves and ridges in the sides. I had the UB3 connector so no prob but if I hadn't I'd have needed to carve off the ridge(s).

I made a swap chart when I rewired which made it nice. Like....

D-1 to C-11 C-1 to D-8

D-2 to D-16 C-2 to D-5

ETC.

I had alot of C row to D row, D row to C row.