Climate control & CD player swap?

Selenoyl

Go to solution Solved by ManicMechanic,

Hey fellas. I'm wanting to swap my casette player and default climate control in my 94 cutlass to the cd player and electronic climate control. I got a bead on the two at a junkyard, and was wanting to know how to approach this before acquiring them. I am fairly confident in changing the cd player, as a radio is a radio, but as far as the ECC, is it doable? Are the wires going to be the same, or will modification be needed. I tried searching around but all threads said to ask someone named 3100mpfi, who evidently no longer exists. Thank you all.

• Solution
2 hours ago, Selenoyl said:

Hey fellas. I'm wanting to swap my casette player and default climate control in my 94 cutlass to the cd player and electronic climate control. I got a bead on the two at a junkyard, and was wanting to know how to approach this before acquiring them. I am fairly confident in changing the cd player, as a radio is a radio, but as far as the ECC, is it doable? Are the wires going to be the same, or will modification be needed. I tried searching around but all threads said to ask someone named 3100mpfi, who evidently no longer exists. Thank you all.

Taylor (3100MPFI) doesn't do Ws any more as far as I know. He is still around though. He did it to his car but it was a massive undertaking. The dash had to come out, pretty much the entire HVAC system was replaced and the wiring harness had to be added. It would take an entire book to explain how it's done. If you're a masochist, I'd say get an entire parts car, the service manuals and parts and illustration manuals, a few months of trial and error and have at it.

As far as the CD player goes, plug and play.

5 hours ago, Selenoyl said:

Thanks for the quick reply. At least I can get the cd player.

Awesome that you found a CD player!  They're getting very hard to find.  It took me 3 years or so to find mine.  My International was born with one and the original owner threw it out when it died and put in a crappy aftermarket one.  It's in my thread.

7 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

If you're a masochist, I'd say get an entire parts car, the service manuals and parts and illustration manuals, a few months of trial and error and have at it.

This, If you have all the patience in the world i'd start by hitting the service manual to figure out what all is different, but you'd likely need to start with and entire dashboard harness and just change nearly everything over. Its possible, but at what cost? I say this as a person who has been adverse to the pain in the past.

• Like 2

My 1995 Cutlass has a factory CD player. Record company CDs play fine. If I want to play my own burned CDs, I have to burn them at the slowest speed or they will not play. Lately I use a Bluetooth FM transmitter and just play content from my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to ditching the aftermarket (JVC) CD player that is in the 1994 CS Vert I just picked up a few months back. I have a re-furbished correct CD player ready to go. I have 2 major hopes here. First, I am hoping whomever installed the aftermarket unit didn't hack the plug ends and leave me with a real mess to figure out. Second, I'm hoping after this correct 1994 CD unit is installed the steering wheel controls will work again. 

If someone is looking for one of these radios there is a seller on e-bay who gets these from time to time and refurbishes them. I've bought 2 myself. I can get that info for someone if needed.