OLDSMOBILE emblem removal, between back-up lights

bluecalais79

Has anyone removed that worn out and de-silvered OLDSMOBILE emblem, the big one that is between the rear back up lights without gouging or otherwise destroying the piece that's holding it? 

I'd like to install an NOS one to replace the shabby looking one in it now. I was thinking of getting it started by using a sharp pointed pry tool and then working some fish line and getting it out using the dental floss method. I don't care about destroying the old emblem, I just want to avoid forever ruining the piece it goes into. It's set in pretty deep so there's not much room in there to get at it.

Thanks, any ideads would be appreciated. 

I've never attempted this, but I would recommend being careful. 

Maybe use painters tape and tape off the surrounding area you will be working around. Then carefully start working it out. 

I've removed emblems in the past but never that one. Steam and fishing line go a long way. 

Thanks, this is my 1994 CS Convertible I just picked up early last month. I've got a complete set of NOS emblems to replace the ones currently on it, including this one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I broke a reverse bar trying to pry that out once. Steam didnt work, goof off adhesive remover didnt work, cutting out little bits around the letters and prying up with a screwdriver and pick definitely didnt work. What ever they used to attach that is as hard as the plastic its made out of. I had wanted to do the same thing and see about adding a few extra bulbs to make the other reverse section functional with extra lights.

Only if the fish line doesn't work... if it's held in by adhesive tape, you could use a rotary tool like a Dremel and make a hole in the emblem, maybe in the large area where the "il" is.  Then use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pick it out, bit by bit from the inside out so that you don't damage the edges.  A bit of heat might help as well.  Risk of damage is high, so I'd only attempt that should you REALLY want to replace it.

I think I'll abandon this project. Maybe an NOS white reverse light bar would do the trick, might be a while before I come across one of those.