Getrag 284 clutch hydraulics

Bake82

Hello

i am possibly swapping a getrag 284 into my car, and curious what people are doing for clutch hydraulics.  Rockauto lists both a master and a slave but no inventory.  

I know the clutches and TOB are different and the push vs pull   However the slave cylinder is always pushing out    The lever it connects to inside the transmission is just different in their action to engage the clutch     

I have a known hood setup from a 282.   They look almost indentical (minus the vacuum ball in the hydraulic line).    

has anyone tried 282 parts?    If not, anyone have a source for them?   

thanks!

Edited by Bake82

I bought what they had a few years ago and it wasn’t much, I don’t think it was the last but was a final clearout.  The slaves were available back then. I can’t say if the 282 master would work for the 284 slave. I’m pretty sure you’ll need a 284 slave. They used to be easier to come by.  Assume you’ve sourced the 284 already. Can you still get the rest of the parts?  Also think you’ll need the stub shaft for a 284 as well? 

6 hours ago, GTP091 said:

I bought what they had a few years ago and it wasn’t much, I don’t think it was the last but was a final clearout.  The slaves were available back then. I can’t say if the 282 master would work for the 284 slave. I’m pretty sure you’ll need a 284 slave. They used to be easier to come by.  Assume you’ve sourced the 284 already. Can you still get the rest of the parts?  Also think you’ll need the stub shaft for a 284 as well? 

I have all the other parts x2-3.   Just no hydraulics.    (Just realizing this).  

I’ll keep looking to source as well!  Hoping they can stil be found 

What I find interesting, and I guess I didn't explain why I was skeptical on these Slave cylinders. 

The cars they list for are 88-93 w-bodies, along with J-body and N-body, which would be getrag 282's only.  There is a separate listing which lists for 91-93 only and those are the ones I was thinking were actually 284.  

But also, why I am thinking maybe they are the same as the separate part# includes the hydraulic hose, which I know was 284 specific.  So maybe the only difference is the hydraulic line/vacuum ball think.  

You can use the 282 master for a 284 transmission. The only difference is the size of the internal piston. I can't remember if its smaller or larger, but it'll only make for a slightly shorter or longer pedal throw.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:04 PM, carkhz316 said:

You can use the 282 master for a 284 transmission. The only difference is the size of the internal piston. I can't remember if its smaller or larger, but it'll only make for a slightly shorter or longer pedal throw.

that’s really good information!   Thank you!!!!

I know they physically look the same but figured the internal bore may be a bit different and wasn’t sure what the affect would be!   

wonder if the slave would be similar situation.   And how it would al work together!  🤔

yeah I know the bore sizes are different but other then that I can't say.

I know back in 2017 when we Converted Matt's GTP (your old one I believe) to 284 we eliminated the dumb accumulator and used a braided hose

• 1 month later...

wow thats crazy i had to look in to this. been out of the w-body world for a few years now crazy to find parts are unavailable. the 284 master is larger bore but same slave between both 282-284 trans. so with a 282 master the pedal would be softer and pedal release height lower. I guess knowing this now.. Im going to have to figure out a replacement solution to fix this issue. maybe fab an adapter for a 2 bolt setup something more common and universal. right now im running the 282 master with a braided line to an internal slave setup 284 trans twin disc with pedal limiter. 

maybe we can make a aluminum adapter that screws in to the firewall? gotta keep these dubya bodys alive!!

also. i heard Rodney Dickman is shutting down and selling the business.. crazy!

good luck ion your search. ill ask around see if I can find any parts.

-Jarek