Removing power seats, without 12v?

rich_e777

Go to solution Solved by Raffaelli,

I`ve found a near perfect front drivers seat for my `95 Cutlass Vert at the salvage yard, problem is that its motorized and the JY wont allow me to even buy a used battery from them to use to power it forward so I can remove it. 

Is there any way to manually get the seat to move forward to access the rear mounting bolts?

25 minutes ago, Raffaelli said:

You have a 18v Milwaukee or Ryobi type drill battery? 

This is a good way to do it. Find whatever fuse powers the seats and have some wires ready to go. That way you can connect the battery to the pins in the fuse block. As long as the wires in the car are still intact, that battery should power up the seat and you will be able to move it around. 

That's how I used to test electronics at the yard. Just find the fuse and put power in there and check on whatever. Radio, cluster, ect...

Well I`ll be a suck egg mule I didnt think of that at all. I just tested it on the seats I have and it`ll work perfectly. Thanks guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue, but it ended up being really simple, at least for the international cutlass I was working on. Most passenger seats are manual. Start there and take that seat out first since you don't need a power source.

Once it is out, the passenger side will have an unused power connector exposed on the floor. Connect the orange wire to your dewalt battery, and the black wire to the opposite side of your battery. If you have alligator clips, they would probably work best.

Now that you connected power, go over to the driver side and use the buttons to move the seat forward/back.

• Like 1

Thanks dude but I got them out a month or so ago. I was able to get alligator clips to hold on the disconnected harnesses under the seats to move them where I needed.