Recommendations Please!

BandMominMO

Hello, new friends! I’m wondering what your recommendations are for a repair manual.  The hubbs is about 90% sure there’s a vacuum leak in the kid’s ‘93.  Should we go with a Chilton or the Haynes?  Is there much of a difference between the two?

*my first post*
(insert modest blushing here)

Honestly, for about the same price (or usually less) as a new Haynes or Chilton you can usually find a good used Factory Service Manual off eBay for what he has and it will have 1000x the information as the generic manuals.

1993 Cutlass Supreme

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284923758122?hash=item4256c7862a:g:QusAAOSwt0hi7X2l&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsMqhcfRUaabaupH6jcZxApwZ70y62X5rQomPyQG8xf7dWtT5THvWTgOe0RoioyzDSJGklypBPfGkD4QFWALNO0SXU8cTVm8tVj1Rd%2FMXjFXHrdG0EEK5MjlbLroKcAmqdSdKZiQ4qCS9O1jsBulomatKnQMgOQkARdcmEQqreH7mToXAWmidH2YWG8vp0nZt8%2FkG1Tf5J%2BQ%2FQLJycA5M4k%2Fl%2FlW19Ih9SgGym8COyHQd|tkp%3ABk9SR6y9s4m3YQ

Edited by ManicMechanic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I Here's what you do, get a 3 foot hose, cut off the end and hold one end to your ear, and the other move all around the engine. You can always find the leak this way. The leaking air noise will be very apparent.

I don't have a preference in repair manuals btween the 2.

Spend the money on the pair of factory service manuals. My car came with the service manuals, and they are excellent to have. (And I’m a professional mechanic)

I’ve found Chiltons and Haynes much too generic for someone who is serious with their car.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:17 PM, Raffaelli said:

Spend the money on the pair of factory service manuals. My car came with the service manuals, and they are excellent to have. (And I’m a professional mechanic)

I’ve found Chiltons and Haynes much too generic for someone who is serious with their car.

You've just answered a question I was asking in another category. Thank you, sir!
I'm gonna try to track these down for my Regal

• 8 months later...

Overdue update:  We went with the set of factory service manuals.  Thanks y’all for your input. They’ve come in quite handy after he crashed it last April.  Hubbs has gotten it all put back together, and it’s not necessarily good as new, but it’s fairly close.  Here’s the best part of the put-back:  We live in a town of 700 people, and one of our neighbors just happened to have a running ‘95 vert in the same color scheme.  It even has a title, believe it or not, and he sold it to us for a Dewalt impact and $400.  Now we are fortunate enough to have pretty much have one set of replacement parts for whatever we need forever.