New member and new W-body owner

WrenchandRepeat

Greetings all! 

I've only been poking around this forum for the last few weeks after I acquired my recent project, a 1989 Cutlass Supreme 5 speed FE3 with what I've been told is a 3/4 of a Razzi body kit (based on the rattled canned front bumper cover, I'm guessing the Razzi cover was damaged and removed). I've also read that these were often dealer installed? It looks well done. But I guess the original owner could have just spent the money to have it installed elsewhere.

I saw the car on FB marketplace a few months ago and was instantly telling my wife we had to go get it. We drove the 4 hours with a dolly to pick it up only to find an issue with the title. So I told the seller if they could get the issue resolved, I would buy it. Well fast forward a few months and the FB ad gets posted on the GM FWD Society FB page. I comment saying I'm in talks to buy it but I'm waiting to hear back on the title. A guy comments mentioning a way to get the title issue fixed and says if I don't end up buying it, he's going to and use it for parts for one of his projects. I told myself "The hell he is!" and quickly made plans to go buy it.

This is it the day I brought it home. Sat in a field for months and got mowed around, so it was dirty

image.jpeg.5791b971df04011773669cca39a85f6b.jpeg

image.jpeg.db7e6a69a6066ee66ecd6bcebd895d0d.jpeg

image.jpeg.d10b55d0c8ba0d18b6c491a4072d4a0d.jpeg

The interior isn't bad, I'd say 6/10. It needs some love and I am going to try and restore it as much as possible with some liberties. Its the red interior, so I've been toying with the idea of putting red 04-06 GTO seats in it. Would also allow for the passenger seat to be power as well. Ideally I would love the higher end buckets that came in the later International coupes but those are a lot harder to find.

The reason the seller sold the car was supposedly because the engine was "blown". However after putting a battery in it and reconnecting the plug wires, it started right up and ran great (did hesitate a little when revving). No knocking like the seller said it had. No coolant in the oil or vice versa. Not sure what they determined was blown about it lol. However, I have plans for an engine swap anyway. Leaning mostly toward a L67 but turboed instead (I have a lot of experience with building and tuning turbo cars). Just a small turbo with baby boost to keep the 282 alive. Oooorrr an LS4. The latter would be a little more involved with finding a clutch and flywheel though. But I will still need to find a setup for an L67, so I'm still weighing the options.

Sorry, I'm letting this introduction post get away from me. Just excited to share and hear everyones thoughts! I plan to start a build/resto thread in the near future! Oh which reminds me, if anyone has a factory shift knob for one of these and is willing to let it go, please message me lol. I recently discovered the Cutlass Supremes have a unique lever and other factory GM screw on ones won't work :(.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Here is a pic in the garage after we washed her.

image.jpeg.ee9930ad00ef9c69b07bd80bf9f477ee.jpeg

Edited by WrenchandRepeat

12 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

Welcome to the site. I don't think I've ever seen one with that body kit. Very cool car. 

Thank you! And I have yet to come across any pictures of one other than those "advertising" the Razzi body kit. Hoping I do someday but I know the likelihood is low!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool score, I`d have cut the other guy out of the transaction in a heartbeat as well. Let them scour the interwebz for parts and leave existing cars alone.

For the record that body kit on the white Phantom is not a Razzi kit, Razzi kits are ribbed. Not sure whats on that white Phantom but we were just talking about that very car in the Whatever thread a few days ago.

Edited by rich_e777
  • Like 1

Man I love those period Eagle? alloys on it.

Its crazy to think that at one point there were 2 different body kits for the Cutlass Supreme

• Like 2

Only pic I could find, the wing though is factory but still rare. I have one on my 1994.

This is the Razzi Front piece with the ribbed accents. Made from unobtainium, fitting its in black and white.

Cutlass Razzi.jpg

...And an aft pic. Definitely worth saving, you might have the only one left with most of that kit.

Razzi_Cutlass_Rear.jpg.07f87509a27ddfc0f249b5fb0a16e018.jpg

Edited by rich_e777
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2023 at 7:35 PM, rich_e777 said:

Only pic I could find, the wing though is factory but still rare. I have one on my 1994.

This is the Razzi Front piece with the ribbed accents. Made from unobtainium, fitting its in black and white.

Cutlass Razzi.jpg

...And an aft pic. Definitely worth saving, you might have the only one left with most of that kit.

That makes me even happier that I saved this one! It does bum me out that the front cover is no longer on the car and the chances of me ever finding one to put on it are pretty much impossible. I did find a Supreme SX on a salvage yard parts finding site (car was in AMAZING shape and I can't believe it ended up in wrecking yard) that I was hoping would remove it and ship to me because it was 18 hours away but no dice. I know it wasn't the Razzi front but it was as close as I could find.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:35 PM, rich_e777 said:

Cutlass Razzi.jpg

I found the listing of that Cutlass Supreme SX!

https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-auto-parts/1989/oldsmobile/cutlass-supreme/interior/241-console-front/241.gm3p89-alternate-console-front/part-204886-5683-1

It appears to still be at the yard. Man, I would make it worth their time if someone on this board lived close and could get that front bumper cover.

Welcome to the forum and Nice score on the cutlass.  What’s your take on the pinstripe and the chrome looking strips around the fenders? Are you going to leave em or take off?  I prefer the cutlass in a mono colour but that’s just me.