Horn pad/airbag CSC

94CSC

I think the horn pad in my 94 is bad and shorting out and blowing the fuse for the horn. Only solution I can think of is replacing the airbag center where the horn pad is-once I’m able to locate one. 
How difficult is this and does anyone have step by step instructions. Really want to get this horn working properly. 

Thank you!

I've been told there is a felt material behind the horn pad touch section behind the airbag cover.  This felt material acts as a barrier so that the horn doesn't go off unintentionally.  When this material deteriorates with time, the horn will either go off constantly or intermittently or when it's not wanted or needed to go off.  

I don't have an airbag optioned Cutlass but I would start by looking at the back of the steering wheel and seeing if there are screws.  If so, those screws once removed, you should be able to pull the airbag out of the steering wheel. I would disconnect the battery first and wait a while before messing with it though.  There will probably be some wires that you'll need to unhook once the airbag is freed from the wheel.

Once inside, you should be able to figure out what needs to come off, etc.  If that felt material is in bad shape or deteriorated, not sure what would be the best material to replace it with.  Like I said, If that material is in bad shape, it will give constant ground or power or whatever and cause the horn to honk constantly or intermittently.  

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 1

That's how the airbag comes off on my 94 Regal.

I need to do the same thing with my horn...was going off on it's own at night a while back until I pulled the fuse. Haven't removed the airbag/horn pad since I did the turn signal switch a few years ago.

Was the removal simple? Did you disconnect battery and then let the car sit for a while before removing?

While I’m in there I’m going to try and address regreasing the cam and seeing if I can find out why the lighting on my steering wheel controls is intermittent and they do not function. Jiggity thinks possibly module.