ZZP finned trans pan

TX_LaCrosse

No personal experience, but I doubt it will help a whole lot.  Cooler should be better, but a lot more work, especially if you're already doing a fluid change. Might be worth seeing if it's part of the Black Friday sale.  Can't hurt, unless you're low and hit it.

Edited by pwmin

An auxiliary cooler inline with the factory one in the radiator will go miles further for trans temps then that pan one would and would probably cost half that.

Would I like a drain plug on an automatic transmission, yes. Do I want one $150 bad, no.

4 hours ago, Schurkey said:

I quit wanting a trans drain plug when I figured-out I could accomplish the same thing by dropping a trans cooler tube; and I haven't created an additional leak point.

I've personally never had a leaking drain plug on any of my vehicles. Engine,trans,differentials or transfer cases.

12 hours ago, Schurkey said:

I quit wanting a trans drain plug when I figured-out I could accomplish the same thing by dropping a trans cooler tube; and I haven't created an additional leak point.

that and a $7 fluid extracting hand pump will easily suck down a 4t60/65 from the dipstick tube

On 12/1/2022 at 12:02 PM, White93z34 said:

An auxiliary cooler inline with the factory one in the radiator will go miles further for trans temps then that pan one would and would probably cost half that.

Would I like a drain plug on an automatic transmission, yes. Do I want one $150 bad, no.

I have been looking at also installing the 06-11 Impala 9C1 auxiliary trans cooler. Rockauto sells the factory style Dorman cooler & lines, I'm just not sure if the mounting provisions are on all the 04-up W body cars.

On 12/2/2022 at 6:17 AM, White93z34 said:

that and a $7 fluid extracting hand pump will easily suck down a 4t60/65 from the dipstick tube

True enough, a person can "suck down" the fluid in the pan with an extraction pump.  Makes removing the pan to inspect and clean, and replace the filter really nice because the pan doesn't drip all over creation.

If you drop the trans-to-cooler tube at the cooler, and you're clever, when you've got the pan drained, you can then inspect/clean/replace filter, and THEN you can also flush the pump and torque converter with fresh fluid.  Changes 90+ percent of the trans fluid instead of only about 50%.

Better still, make sure you remove the tube that would return the cooled fluid back to the transmission.  Install a "temporary" tube into the cooler to direct the fluid flow into the drain pan, and you flush the pump, converter, AND the cooler.  A two-foot section of tubing in the correct diameter, and with the proper connection style at the cooler  (3 most common:  5/16 inverted flare, 3/8 inverted flare, and 5/16 "GM Special" "barbed" connection using an internal O-ring and a wire spring clip.)