Change Speedometer on Buick Regal Limited Edition 1990

CRT

Hey my Name ist Christian from Germany. I have an Chrysler 300c and now i bought a Buick Regal from 1990.

I want to Change the Speedometer. From the old one to the füll digital on.

From 25089061 to 25089058. These are the original article Numbers.

Does anybody have wiring diagrams or a plan how i can match this? Because the connectors and the wiring ist different.

Welcome to the site!

I'm not that familiar with the Regal clusters. I know it is possible to swap these over to the digital cluster. Does your current cluster have a tachometer?

When I did this for my 1994 Cutlass Supreme, I made an adapter so I could plug in my digital cluster. You could also put the connectors in the correct spot with the correct connector for the digital cluster. 

This thread may have helpful information:

Hey,

the first picture is the speedometer wich is built in now. i want to change to the full digital at the second picture.

The Cables and the connector are different. this is my problem.

dNwdEHn.jpg

buicklimitedcoupe_dash2.jpg

Edited by CRT

You will need a connector from a Regal that has the digital dash and I'd grab as much wiring as possible. This could be hard to find, as these cars aren't around much anymore. 

I don't think you have a tach with your current cluster. If your car isn't wired one for one the digital dash tachometer won't function. A wire from the ALDL to the correct spot on the connector might be needed, or wiring something from the engine. I'm not sure what works on those years. 

Once you have that part, you have options to get the digital dash to work. Remove your connector, by removing the pins (wires), and then put the pins in the correct location on the new connector. 

A wiring diagram is needed so you know what goes where. 

I made an adapter for my Cutlass over a decade ago to convert it to a digital dash. It worked great for the time I owned the vehicle. Back then, these cars littered the junkyards and parts were cheap. Hunting down parts today will be the biggest challenge. 

I have the connector. the problem is i dont know anything about the wiring. i didn´t find wiring diagrams from this two speedometers. that is the problem.

i also have the article numbers of the two speedometers. i´m searching about two weeks for wiring diagrams but can´t find anything.

• Like 1

I'd expect the wiring schematics plus the connector pin-out information to be in the 1990 Regal service manual, in the wiring section.

I get most of my manuals used, from eBay.  I've bought a couple of service-manual-on-disc (CD-ROM or DVD) and they work OK, but I prefer paper books.

• Like 1

Put it in the trunk especially when you go out-of-town.  Aftermarket service manuals--Haynes, Chiltons, Clymers, etc. make great emergency toilet paper.

You need a REAL service manual, that has pinouts, connector shapes, wiring diagrams, etc.

I want to say a very long time ago a friend of mine and I converted his 90' regal to the better instrument panel.

I forget if the plug itself was different, but it wasn't terribly hard. if they are and you already have the wiring pigtail, thats the worst of it.

aside of that pinouts from the service manual for the plugs is all you should need to depin the existing connector and convert it into the correct one.

a few points of interest about this conversion:

• Oil pressure will not work until you change out the oil pressure switch for a sensor
  • tachometer will also not work - this is easy to fix though. It uses the cars data stream, you can grab this signal off the diagnostic link connector under the dash
  • temperature may or may not work, same as oil pressure it needs a sensor not a switch.

as far as where to get said diagrams, factory service manual is for sure the best place, and for a old car its a great tool to have.

But that might be difficult to come by in Germany. In that event a copy of eSI should also contain that information. I'd have to fire up my old laptop to see if its in there.

1 hour ago, CRT said:

Thanks guys for your help.

@White93z34 Would be great if you can look for on your old laptop. I have the both connectors. they are different.

I don't know if I can just connect it by wire colors?

I wouldn't do that. Not all the wires are the same color. 

I think a book like this might be very helpful. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154554801367?hash=item23fc2f1cd7:g:ebIAAOSwdkRhCIi3&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsG7JqzNAbvuAJTnMnfmNVk6ebDoVOEmQFM6v16x8o0RG44dt0kczRq1pevMixL8FC%2BLQiinK3jwpcDYhy4KRD2GwXuHvRKlEoCm3gZGizuW%2FaO%2B5RVQeASB1fzTGouAHjx5oW8JsiBes3fpjduL18Ai7J5mjETRZYDb1%2Fczz3t4z38Er1VSnJxQb%2Fk1ZB5a336pIr7SFyYh%2FLSpdItHz96BpO6I4p1EMKVzUY3%2F5PfrI|tkp%3ABk9SR5yuldPyYA

• 1 month later...