Front strut problems

logan_204

On my 1990 chevy lumina i replaced the front oil cartridges with new gas ones and they rattle around in the housing.      Put the old ones back in without fluid and the noise went away.    The old ones were not leaking and I didn't think they really needed to be replaced as they passed the bump test and there was no rattling.. but the mechanic failed it on the saftey.   Another mechanic had came over and inspected it and he had said there was nothing wrong that he could find, but I had decided what's the harm in new front shocks..  was easy enough to do after I bought the proper tools.

So i replaced them and now there's an awful noise from the new cartridges in the housing. You can feel the shaft move back and forth when you shake the top of the tire in and out.

I had put the old ones back in without any fluid to see if the clunking noise went away and it did so now i kind of just want to put them back in but their empty and the fluid was knocked over.  I've been looking for new fluid but can't find out what fluid should be used.      Not sure what to do here 

Edited by logan_204
80s

What struts did you buy?

I've had a similar issue once on one of my Grand Prix, the cap wasn't able to cinch down on the top of the cartridge due to some butchered threads. When you put it in and tighten the top nut down on the housing DO NOT impact it down. and then feel for any up and down movement

On 9/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, logan_204 said:

On my 1990 chevy lumina i replaced the front oil cartridges with new gas ones and they rattle around in the housing.      Put the old ones back in without fluid and the noise went away.    the mechanic failed it on the saftey.   Another mechanic had came over and inspected it and he had said there was nothing wrong that he could find,

So i replaced them and now there's an awful noise from the new cartridges in the housing. You can feel the shaft move back and forth when you shake the top of the tire in and out.

I had put the old ones back in without any fluid to see if the clunking noise went away and it did so

Something's not adding up here.....what are you referring to when you use the phrase *oil cartridges?* ........and *Put the old ones back in without fluid*

the front shock cartridges are a sealed item, one does not get involved with the oil inside them, if you had oil down in the housing because the old one(s) leaked it out then that oil needs to be removed from the strut housing before the new ones are lowered into place. As Chris mentioned if you are getting a rattle from the new ones then they've not gone in properly. 

When installing the new ones did you use the supplied caps that would be included with the new shocks?......they are not a 1 size fits all item.

Edited by 55trucker

The W-body struts had removable/replaceable "guts".  The top of the strut would unscrew, and the functional dampening cartridge inside was removed 'n' replaced with a fresh cartridge.  Didn't even have to remove the strut IF (big IF) the strut bearing and spring-seat and such was in decent condition.  'Course, that's less likely all the time given the advanced age and mileage of these vehicles.

We used to use a certain measure of ATF as the fluid inside the housing, that the cartridge was bathed-in.  Best I can tell, the fluid was used to conduct heat from the cartridge to the housing, and then dissipated into the air stream.  But I haven't done a cartridge replacement on a W-body, perhaps the service manual recommends engine oil or some other fluid.

I thought the tool set for cartridge replacement was about $25.  Now it's double that.  Some aftermarket cartridges are made improperly; the tool set works to remove the originals, but not install the replacements.  Gotta be clever--and use lots of harsh language.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-A445-GM10-Strut/dp/B008FJXAQE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1T7SG46KL0T07

OTC also makes a version, but OTC is a four-letter word to me--their warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Or this one, which I'd prefer if it was actually available.  

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-Company-40930-Strut/dp/B000SIFOIM

Edited by Schurkey

Plain and simple if your getting a rattling sound the cartridge is not tightened down enough. There’s no oil type shock cartridge.  You likely just didn’t screw the top cap down enough.  If you have oil in the bottom of the tube the old cartridge were leaking and should be replaced. Clean the oil as best you can. Any left overs will just help fight corrosion. Just as everyone slap mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...