4T60E question

Regal

I have a question regarding the 4T60E in my '93 Regal Limited Coupe 3800.

After replacing several other parts, I have decided I want to replace the shift solenoids and possibly the TCC and PWM solenoids in the transmission. I had recalled reading this was fairly east to do once the pan and filter were dropped, but thinking about it that may have been for a transmission not fixed in the transverse position.

Can anyone confirm these parts are replaced from dropping the pan and filter on the 4T60E or is it more involved (ie. done from the side, other parts need to be moved out of the way in engine bay etc.)?

Unless you've verified that the solenoids are indeed faulty you're opening a can of worms in an attempt to replace them.

You Do realize where they are located?

they are not in the pan......one has to remove the trans rear cover to get at them. That in itself cannot be done in the car, even with the trans support removed there's not enough clearance to get the cover off & lift it out from the top or drop out the bottom while in the car.

Even if you went to the trouble of removing all of the paraphernalia in the engine bay above it the cover would contact the inner fenderwell preventing you from lifting it out.

Thanks for the reply.

That's sort of what worried me. I think with the 4L60E these parts were accessible removing the pan, but with others such as the 4T65E I have seen that people managed to do it by taking off the cover without removing the transmission from the car. Perhaps it would have slightly more room than other W-Body cars as it seemed to have slight variations to other cars on the platform? I'd likely have a shop do it at this point but want to make sure it can be done in the first place. I don't want to remove the transmission from the car but this issue does need to be fixed. I recall reading a post elsewhere about a fellow with that Chevy van that was out for a few years in the early 90s with the same powertrain and with the DTC 56 code he did find it to go away after having these solenoids replaced. I've replaced everything else that could be related to a "Driver quad module 'b' fault."

• 1 month later...

The issue cleared without my having to tear into the transmission. As I figured things out and ordered parts, I continued to drive the car. I even took it on I estimate a 1500 mile road trip as it has been so reliable and economical despite the seeming limp mode. About 300 miles from home the battery quit charging and the car eventually had to be towed to a shop and given the distance from home and circumstance, I just let them deal with it and largely stayed out of it. They diagnosed a bad alternator (and the one in there had been only 5 months old and has since been refunded under warranty) and replaced it as well as a 10 amp fuse. When I got into the car and saw the DTC 56 issue cleared I was ecstatic despite the mechanic and hotel bill.. it being fixed basically made the whole thing worth it. I have also replaced several sensors I probably wouldn't have otherwise touched as well as the ECM with good hard to source parts, and now that the faulty alternator has been removed and replaced; the car is running and driving more terrific than ever! All it really 'needs' now is rear wheel hub bearings removed and replaced and the parking brake sorted; I guess I would also do the rear brakes then too since I have parts on hand for it.