Do I Need A New Strut or Just the Upper Mount?

kcac

The right rear strut let go on my 1995 Cutlass.  Looking at the attached photos, do I need a new strut or just the upper mount? The struts are 15 years old and have have about 10,000 miles on them

Thanks for any advice on this.

Kenn

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

You definitely need a new mount.  The strut pulled right through it, hope this didn’t happen at speed.  Looks like it scored the inner fender well up as well.

I’d remove the bolt and take off the leftovers of the mount and inspect the strut itself. Hit the nut now with PBblaster,  there should be a torx or hex up top to keep it from spinning. 

If the strut is in good condition still, then use it?  You should really change suspension parts in pairs so if one is replaced you should do the other side as well.  Certainly get two mounts on the way quickly. The other mount is probably not far behind and next time could cause an accident.  

Rockauto!

Edited by GTP091

Thanks. I found the Monroe #181831 quick strut assembly for $39 at Rock Auto so I bought two of them. They are supposed to arrive in two days. I did support the rear wheel. I have the car supported by a jack stand on the rear passenger side, but have it pretty much level . The car is a convertible, so I am (possibly needlessly) concerned that the car's body has less rigidity and thus potentially twisting the body when supporting it from only one corner.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, GTP091 said:

You definitely need a new mount.  The strut pulled right through it, hope this didn’t happen at speed.  Looks like it scored the inner fender well up as well.

I am surprised this happened. I live in Wisconsin To keep the car out of the salt, we only only drive it in the summer. Maybe wear and tear from years vs mileage. The strut came loose while traveling at about 35 mph.

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, White93z34 said:

nah it will be fine. the convertibles have extra bracing from their hard topped brethren 

As always Mr white is very correct here. You can certainly take the weight off the corner though by using the central rear jack pad. I cringe to think of anyone using the scissor jack pinch welds to jack up their car. In a side of the road changing a flat get off the highway before you get creamed scenario then sure