Need help figuring out where two wore harnesses go to (92 cutlass)

Bjankins1

So a few days ago I was curious to see how you get the radio out and when I pulled the grey cover out, I found two wire Harnesses disconnected next to the guage cluster, I took the cluster out and only found one wire that plugs into it, there's no other spots to plug into it, one of the wires is an 8 pin wire connector, the other one is like 16 or some bigger number(not forsure on how many pins are in the other connector)

Unfortunately I put it all back together so I can't take a pic but was curious to know if anybody has taken the cluster out and had to disconnect more than one connector

Yep sorry forgot to say it was a 92 cutlass 2dr coupe

The disconnected harness are on the left side above where the headlamp switch is, when you pull the cover plate off, it's the first thing you would see, do you know if your instrument cluster only uses one connector, I only see one spot to plug it into

Correct, you should have only one connector going into the cluster like the one you described.  What does the other connector look like?  Is it sort of blocky looking?  I think it will be either black or a bright blue maybe?

I can but unfortunately it's all put back together right now, the two wire connectors are on the left side of the instrument panel, both blocky and I know at least one of them is blue

Ok, when I get some time tonite, I'll get some pics of my setup.  I have the dash pad and bezel off of it right now.  Please note, my car is a 91 so they're might be some differences.  I'm thinking you have the pre-wire connector for the HUD option or Heads Up Display.  GM used one harness for all cars and depending on options, some were just left unused.

33 minutes ago, Bjankins1 said:

Do you happen to know where the heads up display would be located?

It will come up thru a hole in the dash structure (under the dash pad once removed) sort of in front of the driver and close to the windshield.  I believe it's a blocky connector, maybe a blue one...or black.  I can't remember.  My car has HUD so maybe I can see it.

18 minutes ago, Bjankins1 said:

I haven't removed the dash pad but I don't think I have a heads up display in my model

Even if you don't, GM probably pre-wired the harness for cars that did when these were going down the assembly line.  That's why I'm thinking you have an extra connector.

I don't think either of those were included for my car for that year, that audio bass control switch is definitely not there, even more funny is I do not have fog lights or a place to put fog lights on the bumper

The heads up display I think for 92 was only included for the 4 door and convertible models, 

14 minutes ago, Bjankins1 said:

I don't think either of those were included for my car for that year, that audio bass control switch is definitely not there, even more funny is I do not have fog lights or a place to put fog lights on the bumper

The heads up display I think for 92 was only included for the 4 door and convertible models, 

The Cutlass verts didn't get HUD until 94 and 95.  

I think it would be beneficial to pull your dash pad back off and get some pics of the wires/connectors that you're unsure of.  Once we see which ones you're referring too, we can figure it out.  The nice thing about GM wiring is that each connector will only go to a specific component, no switching of things.  Everything in it's place and a place for everything.

Edited by jiggity76

So tomorrow I'm most likely going to sell the car to someone and let somebody deal with it who has the money to fix it, I may possibly go back in there to fix it but my goal was to get as much as everything as I could working properly on this car before it was handed off to somebody else 

19 minutes ago, Bjankins1 said:

So tomorrow I'm most likely going to sell the car to someone and let somebody deal with it who has the money to fix it, I may possibly go back in there to fix it but my goal was to get as much as everything as I could working properly on this car before it was handed off to somebody else 

Gotcha.  Send them our way if they want or need any help please.

Where would the connector for the ECU to the engine be on this model? This car isn't reading codes when it should and it's going to be the downfall of this vehicle if I cannot know what the hell is going on in the engine