Need help figuring out where two wore harnesses go to (92 cutlass)

Bjankins1

ALDL port is under the steering column if thats what you’re referring to. Your car is OBD1, you cannot scan it with any app enabled readers from eBay; they won’t work as that’s OBDII. An older shop will probably have a tech1 scanner for OBD1 and hopefully know how to use it still.  You can jump two pins on the aldl port to read the codes yourself, do a forum search for this or google image search “obd1 aldl pinout”.  
Paper clip works well. key off, jump the pins, key to run, watch the check engine light to flash once pause, flash twice quickly and repeat three times, (code 12) fan should come on immediately, if no fan and no flash youll want to hit the JY for an ECU.  don’t start the engine!

You’re looking for a code 12 and fan to come on and hopefully nothing else. If you don’t get that the ecu could be junk. That is the easy test for a working ECU. If the ECU is toast the car will stay in open loop and run like crap,as the engine warms up.

is the check engine light on? what’s the issue you're having with the engine? 

As for the rad cap.  You have to push and turn… lol. but I hope you already know that. It’s probably corroded to shit under there. Buy a new one first and then get creative to take the old one off without ruining the rad neck.  Small cuts… you’ll probably need to do a major service on the cooling system. Scary to think what it’s like if the rad cap is corroded on that bad.

Edited by GTP091

And now I’ve seen your post in powertrain. So you know how to check the codes. Still If the fan doesnt come on as soon as it starts to spit out codes then I’d suspect a bad ECU. That’s an easy fix man. I can dig out the gm manuals and snap some pics of the troubleshoot guide if you’d like

Like I said in the powertrain forum, this car should be throwing a code for a Coolant temp sensor, which is code 14 and 15 I think, only once it threw the code, the previous owner must have screwed with something, the temp sensor does not work, and I have checked the wire harness going to the cluster which is one big wire harness, everything looks connected as far as I can tell, so where the hell do I jump next, could one of the pins on the back of the cluster be corroded? I have honestly no clue where to go from here, even the wires on the temp sensor didn't look damaged but it's hard to tell without removing the throttle body