What size adaptor can I use to remove my inner tie rod?

89-W-Body-Regal

I am going to need inner tie rods. The kit I have has only 3 adaptors but does not fit my inner tie rod. I am thinking about buying a kit from harbor freight that has 8 adaptor crow feet in them. What size removes the inner tie rods? I have an 89 Buick Regal 2.8 V-6. Maybe I can just buy the adaptor if you guys can tell me the correct size.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

When I did the inner tie rods on my 95 Cutlass a few years ago I didn't use any special adapter.   Are you talking about finding a tool that fits the flats on the inner tie rod to unscrew it from the steering rack?    I just crawled under the car and used an adjustable wrench.   Maybe it's different for your '89.     It wasn't that tight on my car.    

I have the old Harbor Freight one, maybe the new ones are better. mine was initially too small to fit over the tie rod I had to use a die grinder or something like that to slightly open up the ID so it would slide over, but other then that it did work fine.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:40 PM, oldmangrimes said:

When I did the inner tie rods on my 95 Cutlass a few years ago I didn't use any special adapter.   Are you talking about finding a tool that fits the flats on the inner tie rod to unscrew it from the steering rack?    I just crawled under the car and used an adjustable wrench.   Maybe it's different for your '89.     It wasn't that tight on my car.    

Really? It came loose with a adjustable wrench?

15 hours ago, 89-W-Body-Regal said:

Really? It came loose with a adjustable wrench?

Well, maybe not, it's been a few years and I've replaced tie rods of my other cars since then.   I looked at the picture of the harbor freight tool and it looks familiar so maybe I did buy one and use it.   Oops, sorry, I'm getting forgetful in my old age.      

On 7/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, oldmangrimes said:

Well, maybe not, it's been a few years and I've replaced tie rods of my other cars since then.   I looked at the picture of the harbor freight tool and it looks familiar so maybe I did buy one and use it.   Oops, sorry, I'm getting forgetful in my old age.      

I have seen a lot of people break it loose with a wrench. But these day's in the shops I work at most just use an impact and remove it with the tool I invest in. It can be a pain to remove it with a wrench after having the inner tie rod on there after many years. Then when installing new inner tie rod I seen it has to be torqued on with a torque wrench. Most shops just use the impact and NEVER torque them.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal