Temp Gauge Fluctuates 2005 GP GT

Jake93

So with recently purchasing my 2nd W-body pontiac, my previous one was a GXP. My current 05' GT the temp gauge will fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4 marks. If im moving with the A/C on or off, it'll drop some. Now if im sitting still idiling, it will move up slightly with my A/C running of course. If i shut off my A/C it will go up to exactly 3/4. No leaks that i can see, no overheating, fans come as usual. I'm thinking thermostat is wonky? 97k 3800NA motor. 

Thank you! 

My buddy has a good scanner that can read live data. Coolant level is good. Otherwise the car is mechanically sound. I will be changing out the OEM plastic 90° elbows for the aluminum ones in the near future. 

19 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Are you certain beyond a doubt that the cooling system does not need bleeding?

I have a feeling it may have air in the system somewhere or my thermostat isn't opening until later. Normal temp range is 220°? I could be wrong. Its been a hot minute since ive last owned a series 3 3800. 

Edited by Jake93

3 hours ago, RPE1992GPSE said:

You could also try pressure testing the system.  It could reveal a small leak somewhere.

Always could, there is a probability there's a small pinhole leak in a hose or something. Fans do come on as normal though.

21 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

I'd probably check on the fans to make sure they are operating properly. 

I have and they do in fact work. They obviously come on when the A/C is running as well. But i have a blue wire that is grounded at the top radiator support brace (driver's side) and i followed it down to the fans and then it disappears somewhere down low probably by the fan motors to either fan. I'll double check on my lunch and get back to ya! 

44 minutes ago, Jake93 said:

I have a feeling it may have air in the system somewhere or my thermostat isn't opening until later. Normal temp range is 220°? I could be wrong. Its been a hot minute since ive last owned a series 3 3800. 

Air will cause the gauge to fluctuate, bleed the system, if there is indeed a small leak the system pressure (15lbs) would force the fluid out, you'd notice it & you'd be repeatedly filling the system.

If you suspect the stat pull it out & drop into a pot of near boiling water (use a candy thermometer) & monitor what temp it opens.

19 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Air will cause the gauge to fluctuate, bleed the system, if there is indeed a small leak the system pressure (15lbs) would force the fluid out, you'd notice it & you'd be repeatedly filling the system.

If you suspect the stat pull it out & drop into a pot of near boiling water (use a candy thermometer) & monitor what temp it opens.

Roger that!