I NEED A GM TECH 1 TOOL FOR MY 95 BUICK RIVIERA 3.8 SUPERCHARGE VIN 1 L67 SERIES 1 CAR

COADY

You need a Tech 1, in particular?  Or you need a scan tool that works with OBD-1 such as the various Snap-On '2500s or the Solus family (Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, Solus Legend)

I used an MTG2500 (similar to the older, less-expensive MT2500) for about twenty years.  When I killed it, I bought a used Solus Pro on eBay; $350 delivered to my door.  Services GM from 1980 1/2 to 2007, plus other domestics, and some Asian cars.  I got a reasonable assortment of Asian adapters and retained the domestic adapters from my old scanner.  Battery and charger, operator's manuals on DVD, various cables and cords, and a bigass suitcase to carry it around in.

There are other, competing products to the Snap-On scan tools, but I have zero experience with them.

If you just HAVE to have a Tech 1, you'd better develop an eBay search for 'em.  Good luck.

I CONTACTED INNOVA ABOUT THE 5512 SCANNER I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT AND HE SAID THEY HAVE NO ACCESSORIES TO FIT THE SCANNER. HE SAID MY CAR IS WHAT YOU CALL A 1.5, MEANING NOT OBD1 OR OBD2, BUT IN BETWEEN. HE SAID I NEED A (GM TECH 1 TOOL). I WENT ON GMPARTS.COM AND DID NOT FIND ANYTHING THERE. OR IT'S THERE AND I DON'T WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR OR DON'T RECOGNIZE IT. I'M CLUELESS. I'VE PUT 43 NEW PARTS ON THE CAR. THE BATTERY IS DRAINING WHEN IT IS RUNNING, SECURITY LIGHT ON, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, BATTERY LIGHT ON, WATER TEMP LIGHT ON, ROUGH IDLE. I'VE SPENT OVER $3000.00 IN PARTS ALONE PLUS THIS SCANNER THAT COST ME $279.00 PLUS TAX THAT I CAN'T EVEN USE. I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET AT THIS POINT, OR A SCANNER THAT WILL WORK ON MY CAR. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE PRICE IS FOR THE SCANNER IF IT WILL ELIMINATE THIS HEADACHE. THANKS FOR THE COME BACK, I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT. THIS OLD VETERAN IS GETTIN PLUM TUCKERED OUT.

I'm relatively sure most Tech2s will read the 94/95 cars. Those are FAR easier to come by too. I want to say the $300 or so Aliexpress counterfeit Tech2s will do it just fine. At least I'm 99% sure mine does.

I have both if you're local to the general Pittsburgh area.

That said, without any detail past what you've provided it sounds like some sort of massive wiring issue.

20 hours ago, COADY said:

I CONTACTED INNOVA ABOUT THE 5512 SCANNER I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT AND HE SAID THEY HAVE NO ACCESSORIES TO FIT THE SCANNER. HE SAID MY CAR IS WHAT YOU CALL A 1.5, MEANING NOT OBD1 OR OBD2, BUT IN BETWEEN. HE SAID I NEED A (GM TECH 1 TOOL). I WENT ON GMPARTS.COM AND DID NOT FIND ANYTHING THERE. OR IT'S THERE AND I DON'T WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR OR DON'T RECOGNIZE IT. I'M CLUELESS. I'VE PUT 43 NEW PARTS ON THE CAR. THE BATTERY IS DRAINING WHEN IT IS RUNNING, SECURITY LIGHT ON, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, BATTERY LIGHT ON, WATER TEMP LIGHT ON, ROUGH IDLE. I'VE SPENT OVER $3000.00 IN PARTS ALONE PLUS THIS SCANNER THAT COST ME $279.00 PLUS TAX THAT I CAN'T EVEN USE. I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET AT THIS POINT, OR A SCANNER THAT WILL WORK ON MY CAR. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE PRICE IS FOR THE SCANNER IF IT WILL ELIMINATE THIS HEADACHE. THANKS FOR THE COME BACK, I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT. THIS OLD VETERAN IS GETTIN PLUM TUCKERED OUT.

1.  TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK.

2.  Innova sells consumer-grade junk.  Apparently, they have morons working the Tech Line, too.  Can you take it back to where you bought it for a refund?  GM suggests the Tech 2 for my '92 and '93 Luminas.  I'd think the Tech 1 would be too old.

3.  No such thing as OBD 1.5.  There's OBD-2, and "pre-OBD-2" which became OBD1 by default.  Any decent scan tool that has the correct software and connectors to suit the vehicle should work.  If it won't connect to the vehicle, either you don't have the right software, or the right adapter(s), or the scan tool is consumer-grade trash.

4.  I spent 20 years working with a Snap-On MTG2500 I bought used off of eBay (MT2500 similar, less expensive, more common) and when that died about six months ago, I got another, newer Snap-On scan tool, again used on eBay.  Pawn shops, and Craigslist are other sources for scan tools.  I bought a Snap-On Solus Pro, $350 shipped to my door with software suitable for 1980 1/2--2007 (Version 8.2) a battery with some life in it, and a charger, a bunch of OBD1 vehicle adapters, an OBD2 adapter with personality keys, operator's manuals on DVD, some power cords, and a bigass suitcase to carry it around in.  My Solus Pro was made in 2008; it's no spring chicken.  Snap-On no longer supports the '2500s, Solus, Solus Pro; support for the Solus Ultra either just ended or is about to.  Solus Edge and Solus Legend can still be updated--but the Ultra, Edge, and Legend (current model) are also way more expensive.

5.  I would MUCH rather have a used-but-usable Professional-grade scan tool than a brand-new consumer-grade tool.

6.  A "real" scan tool communicates with every on-board computer-controlled system on the vehicle.  Newer vehicles have more computers/modules that can interact with the scan tool than older vehicles.  Depending on the vehicle I've got the scan tool connected to, I can get codes and data, and perform certain diagnostic tests with the engine, transmission, ABS, air bags, instrument cluster, and body module (door locks, wipers, HVAC, etc.)

7.  Stop replacing parts, start diagnosing problems.  Sounds like alternator/wire harness issues to me, but that may not be the only thing(s) wrong.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks partner for the info. so how do I know if it is the correct software? I'm an idiot with electronics and computers. do I look for pre OBD2 scanners? Every OBD1 scanner I have found has Buick Riviera's up to 1993 and not 94, or 95. if you have a set scanner that you know will work for me , let me know. I needed it 3 yesterdays ago. price doesn't matter. snap on? you suggested. and thanks once again. I kept the message from innova"s moron tech man and am going to give it to the Oreilly's manager and let them figure it out.The way I look at it is you don't buy a car with 3 wheels do you? so what good is the scanner if I can't use it and it says on the box OBD1 OBD2 compatible.

If you have the right adapters/cartridges a Tech1 can read a 94/95 car no problem. I know mine can.

That said the Tech2 I think works all the way back to 92' or so, again provided you have the right cable adapters/software.

I will recommend the AliEexpress counterfeit Tech2s. yeah yeah yeah yeah I've heard it all about China counterfeit junk... and it is. It's also a full 0 off the price of a real one and works overall "fine". Would I use it in a professional environment. Probably not. For maintaining my fleet of junk, absolutely. I don't think Bosch/GM are crying themselves to sleep at night over me buying a cheap version of something I wouldn't otherwise be able to justify buying.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:54 AM, COADY said:

Thanks partner for the info. so how do I know if it is the correct software? I'm an idiot with electronics and computers. do I look for pre OBD2 scanners? Every OBD1 scanner I have found has Buick Riviera's up to 1993 and not 94, or 95. if you have a set scanner that you know will work for me , let me know. I needed it 3 yesterdays ago. price doesn't matter. snap on? you suggested. and thanks once again. I kept the message from innova"s moron tech man and am going to give it to the Oreilly's manager and let them figure it out.The way I look at it is you don't buy a car with 3 wheels do you? so what good is the scanner if I can't use it and it says on the box OBD1 OBD2 compatible.

Innova doesnt make anything other than a code reader for OBD1 yet will say in big letters on the packaging its OBD1 compatible. Theres a member here selling an Actron scan tool that will serve you better than anything Innova and it`d be cheaper. When I hear from him I could link you into the conversation.