Clock Spring and DTC B0026 Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Open

pwmin

I'm going to look at it tonight, but  I'm assuming I broke the wire when I had the steering rack disconnected.  The dang steering piece fell out after I had unattached it from the rack and I'm assuming the wheel turned and broke it and I'm going to need a clock spring.  I've never had the wheel turn on me in the millions of times I've had the subframe out of W's. The wheel was still straight, so I didn't think it turned, but after about 10 minutes of driving, the air bag light came on and it comes back right away after clearing the codes.  Where is the best place to get a clock spring? They're not the easiest thing to find.   I'll probably just grab a couple at the junk yard.   There are a lot of cheap ones on eBay for other cars, but I can't find any for the GP.

Edited by pwmin

I did some searching, and didn't come up with much. The one's that I see on Ebay look way over priced. I think your best would be to grab several at the yard for the price of one on ebay. 

Know that I know these aren't available anymore I should try to get an extra one just in case. 

They're out there, but $150 and I don't even know if that's the issue.  I did tear it apart and it looked okay, I even wound it like it said on the clock spring.  I wanted to do it in the relative comfort of my garage so I knew what all I needed to do to get it out and what tools I'll need.  I had the battery unplugged for over an hour and it came right back on.

59 minutes ago, pwmin said:

Also, the horn works, but the steering wheel controls don't 

Are you talking about the turn signal canceling cam?  For the 94-96 GP's?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it was the clock spring.  No air bag light back on so far.  Also got the best lower piece of the steering column trim behind the steering wheel that I could find.  I just want to say that whomever at GM decided it was a good idea to stop integrating bolt holes in the steering wheel and put slots in instead should be shot, lol.  The old clock spring looks fine on the outside, but it must be broken internally.

Edited by pwmin