Convertible top replacement

msw7663

Hello forum, I am a new member on the site and I’m hoping you all can help

I’ve got a 95 Cutlass convertible in need of a new top. Tan in color w rear defogger glass. The trim beading is dry rotting and the side cables need replacing. Does anyone know a shop that does replacements at a reasonable price? I’m in south central PA. Any help would be appreciated!

Once upon a time in a world not all that old there used to be a search device known as *The Phone Book*.

When one needed a service & wanted to know where that service was one would open *The Phone Book*, one would go to *The Yellow Pages*.

In there one would find listings for businesses in their general area, one would select the category of the service they need & then find the listing for all who performed that service.

Then one would select the business of their choice & then pick up the phone & call them.

Marvelous piece of engineering, too bad we no longer have that wonderful device with us. 

You're going to have to do the search the *hard way*.....google *automotive upholstery & seat covers* in your area.

I actually have done that within reason and it seems when I mention that it’s a W body convertible, the shops I’ve spoken with just say we don’t do those. It’s more of a fun car not a show piece and may come down to if it’s  worth the hassle. I’m just asking on a forum that’s a dedicated site to the W body platform since it’s not really a mainstream vehicle. I appreciate the input

maybe search for a custom canvas shop.   I haven't lived in that area for too long to be of any help with local businesses.   Any convertible shop that's worth their weight should be able to do it.  If the parts can be sourced.

It is hard to find a place to agree to it over the phone.  When I was looking for a place in Portland Oregon for my 95 vert a few years ago, I found that there are specialty shops for high-end show-car convertibles, but they want a bajillion dollars and may be booked out a while.   I couldn't find a place that had experience with w-body convertibles, but I found a general auto upholstery place that was hesitant but willing to at least take a look at it.   After they saw it in person, then they agreed to give a quote and do the work.   I didn't have the money so ended up doing it myself, it was VERY time-consuming and I wasn't able to achieve a professional-looking result.   So I'd recommend paying a shop to do it unless you have a lot of free time and like to curse.  

The cables are straight-forward, they can be purchased and can be replaced easily enough.  I'm not sure what you mean by "trim beading", but if you're looking for the rubber seals, they have never been reproduced so you can either buy used ones, live with the leaks, but a car cover (what I did), or pay $$$$ for something custom.     The canvas tops themselves are still being made so those can be bought.   

I googled a little and found Auto Upholstery of York County which might be near you.   Google Street View showed a convertible parked out front, they looked like they'd been at that location awhile so they might have good experience.  

Lancaster Auto upholstery won’t touch it. I took it to York County Auto Upholstery and they want $2500.00. I paid that much for the car seven years ago. I know the top weatherstripping is almost impossible to find. I worked for GM for thirty six years and do not have the time or patience to replace the top myself. I didn’t like doing them when I was getting paid to and don’t want to do it now! I’ve found several sites that have the top, hardware, glass and etc. I appreciate all of your help. I’ve been out of the auto world for five years now and don’t have the contacts for this type of work. Seems like it’s almost like a lost art.  Worse comes to worse I’ll sell it. Thanks for all of your help and inputs

^ At $100 dollars an hour labor for near 18 hours work plus the cost of material that sounds just about right.

Up here an upholstery shop is well over $100 an hr labor.

Edited by 55trucker

15 hours ago, msw7663 said:

they want $2500.00. I paid that much for the car seven years ago.

Yep, that's the nature of keeping an old cheap car on the road.   Many repairs cost as much or more as the car is worth, and the value isn't increased by much if you pay for the repair.   So, you either waste a bunch of time and effort and do the work yourself to save money, grit your teeth and pay a shop, or sell the car for next-to-nothing.   Lose lose lose, none of the options make sense.    But for me, on those warm summer evenings when I'm cruising with the top down, (and driving just fast enough that nobody can see the peeling clear coat and scratched paint and worn interior), it's worth the hassle.     

Your best bet is to find a shop in the more affluent parts of town that work on the high end convertibles, then expect to pay. Pre-Kung flu I had a shop quote $1800 for but all they did was order the top and cables and it sat in the rain for a few months behind the shop. I also have a `95 CS vert, white with a black top, and I find it better to just store it out of the weather and only drive it or drove it when there wasn't a chance of rain. I`ll go again for another quote sometime after other stuff more pressing but if they want to much then I`d rather save the money for a paint job and attempt it myself. If I SNAFU it up then someone can have the convertible parts and it becomes a topless roadster. 

Like all things that grow old, expect to pay to keep them up and running. 

I totally agree fellas. I’ve always had convertibles and love the warm weather cruising. Post scamdemic prices are definitely higher and there comes a time to s#&t or get off the pot. I’ll drive it this summer and figure out plan B. As always I appreciate all of the input from everyone. 

• 9 months later...