Thanks for the add, 2000 F.1 GTX

Last American Indian

Long time Pontiac owner. The MS2000 platform is probably the most underrated of all the American FWD’s platforms & just possibly period! IMO!

Edited by Last American Indian

• Last American Indian changed the title to Thanks for the add, 2000 F.1 GTX

The first W-body was designed in Canada and was actually called GM10, or the W1. It debuted in “87” the second version was the MS2000, or the W2, designed in Detroit and debuted in “98” this platform was the last American designed and built platform for Pontiac.

Edited by Last American Indian

You are absolutely right! It’s a great machine, next too my “69” & “74” Zs it is my favorite respectively speaking.
The GM10 (W1)platform from both a functional & economic perspective was a failure. That is not to say that the fifth generation GM FWDs weren’t good or enjoyable. I owned a 91 3.4 GP a 93 GP & a 92 Cutlass. I liked all of them & overall they were good cars, but they had their limits and not much could be done to improve their handling. 
Where as the MS2000 (W2) platform for the sixth generation was a game changer for performance, but there were still some major chinks in the armor that needed to be dealt with to have a real street performance car. At least in my opinion. 
Below is a bit of an old article on those platforms.

https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/gm-moves-shake-midsize-malaise

• Thanks 1

That is a a very interesting read. I have never read that before. I did know some of that information prior to reading that article. I did learn some things about these cars and that's always a plus. 

• Thanks 1

If it helped I’m glad.

Question, overall, what if any do you perceive as some of the sixth gen weak links? And maybe more specifically the overall suspension. And if so have you done anything too address it? Just curious!

3 hours ago, Last American Indian said:

If it helped I’m glad.

Question, overall, what if any do you perceive as some of the sixth gen weak links? And maybe more specifically the overall suspension. And if so have you done anything too address it? Just curious!

I've been around these cars since 1997 when my parents purchased a black GTP sedan. During that 25 year time span, I have really come to like these cars and for me and my family that car has a lot of nostalgia. 

There are thing, that I don't like or wish would have been done different when these cars were designed. In the interior, the cup holders are a bit of a let down. Starting in 2001, the cup holders were designed to be deeper. I have since put the new style cup holders in my 2000 Grand prix. The seats while I like the look of the seats, sitting in them for long road trips starts to get uncomfortable. A break is needed to get out and walk around. A passenger side heated seat would have been a nice option. 

The stock suspension isn't exactly track inspired. It will hold its own for normal daily use. My car is 22 years old and still has its original suspension for the most part. 

I have added front and rear ZZP strut tower braces to my car. I have also replaced the sway bars and bushings with aftermarket parts from ZZP. 

I believe that has helped my car, and I have Toyo Proxes tires on my vehicle which I think is a better handing tire than the tires that came on these originally. 

For what these cars are, I still think they are enjoyable 20+ years later. I certainly have no plans to part with mine anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

I've been around these cars since 1997 when my parents purchased a black GTP sedan. During that 25 year time span, I have really come to like these cars and for me and my family that car has a lot of nostalgia. 

There are thing, that I don't like or wish would have been done different when these cars were designed. In the interior, the cup holders are a bit of a let down. Starting in 2001, the cup holders were designed to be deeper. I have since put the new style cup holders in my 2000 Grand prix. The seats while I like the look of the seats, sitting in them for long road trips starts to get uncomfortable. A break is needed to get out and walk around. A passenger side heated seat would have been a nice option. 

The stock suspension isn't exactly track inspired. It will hold its own for normal daily use. My car is 22 years old and still has its original suspension for the most part. 

I have added front and rear ZZP strut tower braces to my car. I have also replaced the sway bars and bushings with aftermarket parts from ZZP. 

I believe that has helped my car, and I have Toyo Proxes tires on my vehicle which I think is a better handing tire than the tires that came on these originally. 

For what these cars are, I still think they are enjoyable 20+ years later. I certainly have no plans to part with mine anytime soon. 

I’m glad you enjoy the car. Cars, to those who are car people are often emotional. We have strong feelings for them, but I believe that is quite understandable. Believe it or not we are inherently mechanical beings, the two things humans align with first and foremost is nature & mechanics. Without mechanics, the very device & all the infrastructure that you use to get to this website would not be possible. Mechanics is very much an extension of ourselves.

I know what you mean about the seats, as my “00” which is leather, is the same way, but interestingly I did own two “02” GP’s of which both had cloth seats and those seats were actually very comfortable. When the “97” came out my daughter bought one and at that time my wife and I had Z/28s as well as a “93” GP & a “92” Cutlass. So her’s was the first introduction I had with sixth gen GP, but the coke bottle shape was a throwback to the Muscle car era so I found it interesting for an FWD.

Yes the suspension is adequate for a daily driver, but that was what I liked about the MS2000 platform! It had a huge growth potential just like the first two generation Camaro’s did. I’ve raced since I was 16 & built cars since I was 11, yes 11. So when I looked at my daughters “97” I knew if down the road I bought one what I would do. Well that happened in 2000 when I replaced the “92” Cutlass.

There are some substantial improvements that can be made to the suspension that when done properly, and finished you would not recognize the car, but the ride will still be nice. I’m talking about moving the GP into the realm of G force of skid pad test.

• Like 1