CV - Axles, Reman or New?

bluecalais79

My 1994 Cutlass Supreme is getting a front end rebuild this spring, can anyone advise which is the better CV Axle to get, Cardone Remanufactured 601112 & 601264, or, Cardone New 661112 & 661264? 

I've given up looking for NOS, it just ain't gonna happen.

I have the Moog complete front end kit purchased from Rock Auto as well as a Reman Delco rack & pinion.

I'm going all out to be one and done with these new front end parts, if it all goes well I'm bringing this car to the 2022 Olds Nationals in Murfreesboro 7/6 - 7/9. If it's not done in time the white 1996 CS gets the nod. No trailering this year, I'm looking to save money on fuel costs by driving one of these two cars instead. 

thx

DSC00014.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The car's got 93,xxx mile on it, I thought it might be time to get them changed. However, I'll have the tech look at them and let me know what's what with it. At the very least I'm having them re-do my sub-par job on the front struts. 

From personal experience with Cardone I'd choose their reman items. Those are more likely to be older OEM items being overhauled, all of their *new* items are offshore Chinese pieces. My opinion is to stay away from them.

At one time many years ago Cardone used to have a rebuild/warehouse facility right here in Toronto where I had access to their parts inventory thru the truck shop account where I was employed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluecalais79 said:

The car's got 93,xxx mile on it, I thought it might be time to get them changed.

If the boots are good, and they're not making noise...leave 'em alone.  They might go well over 200,000 miles if they stay sealed.  Once the boots tear, and road-splash gets in, it's anyone's guess how long they'll last.

I've had good luck pulling 'em apart, cleaning, and reinstalling fresh grease and new boots.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 11:42 AM, Schurkey said:

If the boots are good, and they're not making noise...leave 'em alone.  They might go well over 200,000 miles if they stay sealed.  Once the boots tear, and road-splash gets in, it's anyone's guess how long they'll last.

I've had good luck pulling 'em apart, cleaning, and reinstalling fresh grease and new boots.

I'll second this. The state of aftermarket parts is such that a quality reman is akin to buying a winning lottery ticket. 

I want to say in all the hundreds of thousands of miles that I've tracked I want to say I've had one OEM (in my old Bonneville) axle actually get excessive wear and necessitate replacement - which was an aftermarket that turned into me doing them once a year till the third one fell out of the transmission, I then put a junkyard one in of unknown miles and it saw the car to the junkyard at 309k. The other axle was original and I never had to worry about it at any point.

When I was way bigger into building W cars I had a pile of axles in varying degrees of disrepair that I would pull from, check for play, re-boot as needed and send never had any issues.

93,000 miles is relatively low inspect the boots, and just re-boot the OEM ones as needed.

Boots are looking good, just checked 'em when I put back on the summer tires this weekend. This car is going up on the trailer next weekend to be transported to South Carolina, for good. I won't be needing the winter wheels there!