99 GP Door Gap

pwmin

So, my passenger door rubs the front fender a little and the gap at the back is larger than the other side.  I tried loosening the 4 bolts and it moved it back a little, but it still rubs a tiny bit.  Who knows how to do this correctly?  All I can find on w-bodies is "don't do it unless you have body work experience".

Typical of the manual to tell you that.  I’ve not done this before so can’t offer you any advice.  If it were me I’d see what I could dig up on you tube.  Might find something useful on there..

Can't find much specific to W's on the 'tube, but I'm sure there's something that is close.  Was just hoping someone here had done it before.  I did get it to barely rub instead of creak.  

Imho, you left out a very critical piece of information. :)
When/how did this rubbing and gap start?  The car is over 20 years old.

The door hinges do wear. They sometimes also break.
With the door fully open, can you move the door up/down or left/right, without moving the rest of the car?  In other words, can you feel the looseness/wear in the hinges?
If so, the solution is simple, but a PITA to do - replace the door hinges with new (or mostly new) hinges.
On some Fords and some years, a "door hinge repair kit" is offered.  Iirc, the w-body GM hinges don't allow for any type of "repair".

Good Luck!

My truck's passenger door started rubbing one day. I tried several things myself, and I couldn't fix it. I took it to a body shop, and they fixed it in 10 minutes. They pulled the door off, and used a big hammer and hit the door hinges on the frame of the vehicle. They put the door back on and the rubbing was gone. That was 2 years ago, and I haven't had an issue since. 

There really isn't any adjustments on these doors. Obviously, make sure the hinges are good. 

Edited by 94 olds vert

I had a similar issue on my '01.  I ended up taking it to a body shop and having them deal with it.  Basically the hinges are shot and should be replaced but sometimes you can just "bend" them and get it a bit better.

The hinges seem fine.  They don't move.  The car has a salvage title and the hood, bumper cover and driver door were replaced with used parts and painted poorly the wrong color, but it's not that far off (same color as my C5).  I think it's been rubbing since I got it, but I've been doing so many other things, it only started bothering me recently.  I don't think the passenger side has been messed with, but I had to do some adjusting to the driver side fender.  I could move the passenger fender a little, but that's not going to fix the rear door gap.  I got it to move a little, though.  It's obviously not a showroom condition car, so I'm not going to be too picky, I was just hoping I could move the door enough to close the rear gap a little and not have it rub the fender. 

If that were me, I'd find a body shop to deal with it.  I used the "grab the lower part of the door and pull up" fix a few times but after awhile the hinges need professional help.  I do see the gap difference though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

That fender could also be tweaked some from body movement over several years or a floor jack under there too can bend the fender some. But worn hinges are usually the culprit. You can only adjust the door so far back. The fender not so much. You'd need shims to get to one spot.