Starter grinding against the flywheel? (1998 Olds Intrigue - 3800 V6)

LastIntrigue

The starter went out on this car about 9 months ago. I had it rebuilt by a local shop. Ever since then, it starts up fine, but occasionally, the starter seems to be sticking out just enough to catch the edge of the flywheel after you let go of the key. This makes a constant scraping noise until you turn the car back off. If you start it right back up, it will usually be fine.

It still cranks perfectly every time. This issue likes to happen when you let off the key right as the engine is starting. If you hold it in "start" for a second after the engine starts, it will be totally normal.

I took it back to the starter shop. They reproduced the issue, but they said that their warranty is expired, and also that they think it's not an issue with the starter, but with the key switch or other electronics.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Should I just replace the starter, start checking voltage at its terminals, or is it possibly not mounted correctly? Is it something else entirely?

On 11/22/2021 at 9:47 PM, LastIntrigue said:

I took it back to the starter shop. They reproduced the issue, but they said that their warranty is expired, and also that they think it's not an issue with the starter, but with the key switch or other electronics.

First Guess:  Local starter shop is run by azzholes.

Second Guess:  Solenoid spring is weak, or shift fork is worn.  Either one (or both) would allow the starter drive to not retract fully.

You could test "the key switch or other electronics" by putting a voltmeter + probe on the starter motor "S" terminal, with the - probe on the battery negative terminal.  When the key is in the "crank" position, you should have within about one volt of battery voltage at the "S" terminal--perhaps 9--10 volts.  As soon as you release the key to the "Run" position, voltage at the "S" terminal should plummet to zero.  If there's residual voltage at the "S" terminal, the solenoid could--maybe--continue to hold the starter drive in contact with the flywheel teeth.

NO voltage at the "S" terminal in "Run", starter still touches flywheel?  Defective starter.

Very, very enormously-small chance you've got excessive thrust bearing wear on the crankshaft, so that the crank sometimes slides too far forward into the starter drive teeth.  Hardly worth considering.

Edited by Schurkey

• 3 weeks later...