Dropping back in!

ThunderBat

Hello All!

Its been a good while since I roamed this forum but back in July I plunked down my $$$ for a 2018 Impala Premier

In the months that have followed I've done a few mods, learned a LOT about vinyl wrapping and wound up falling in love with this machine like I never thought I would. So much so, I've decided to resurrect the license plate that used to grace my beloved 2001 Grand Prix GT coupe

THDRBAT

Yup, the Thunderbat rides again. While it may not be a W-body, its a worthy descendant and I look forward to lots of happy miles. (especially since thise jewel only had 9k on the clock when I bought it)

Before

LunaFirstDay.jpg.0fec2637d3d2c33cd5ea586a7205d395.jpg

Current

LunaAfter.jpg.86a6657c8bdf3270b09b0abaee633ae9.jpg

That is a nice looking car. I know your version has a six cylinder, but I can't believe a car that big was also available with a 4 cylinder engine. Too bad Impalas are no longer in production, but I guess GM can only sell what people want. Or what makes them the most money.

Edited by kcac

Oh man I apologize if I seem to come across as hacking on your car, I can see how my previous comment might be after reading it again.

You put some serious time and mods into it and it looks great, definitely a head turner. 

Edited by rich_e777
Sorry guys,

10 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Impalas are like Sand People, They`ll be back and in greater numbers. 

Ive not really cared for the Impala since the mid 90`s land yacht version but yours looks really good for a 4D car. They really need a coupe or convertible version of that, I suppose GM feels they have that niche locked down with the Camero but...

It's a such GM doesn't offer a modern day coupe or convertible that isn't a Camaro. The Buick Cascada wasn't bad, but it would have been better if it had been based on the Regal. That thing only had a 1.4l if I remember. I haven't been a fan of the Camaro since about 2014. I've never cared for the restyle. 

Before this turns into a Camaro debate, I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done to the Impala!   The original car was a little bland (as Impalas normally are).   The upgrades really made a huge difference visually.  Can you list them?   I see about 10 things you've done to the outside (spoiler, wheels, hood vents, trim paint, mirrors, grill, tint, etc).     

• Like 2

I like your Impala. My daily driver is its Buick stablemate, a 2013 LaCrosse. Mine's the 4cyl hybrid. Performance is a little anemic but the fuel economy is adequate compensation. It gets in town about what my 2011 Impala (3.5L V6) got on the highway. I was actually looking for an Impala like yours when I found the LaCrosse and it was just too good of a deal to walk away from.

I'm a fan of the comfort, the crisp handling for car this size, the power (310hp stock) which smokes my 2001 GP by a lot, the huge trunk, the goodie list and the hi-way mpg is insane (30mpg @70mph with this much power??) 

The mod list is as follows, 

19x8.5 +30 ESR wheels, 245/45 BFG g-force Comp2 tires, hi-flow 3rd cat, Flowmaster HP-2 resonator, Magnaflow 4x9 mufflers, debadged, color trim sill plates, Lloyd floor mats, blue carbon interior trim kit, 35% tint all around, painted mirror housings, carbon fiber wrap side spears, trunk trim and grill BowTie, gloss black mesh grill insert, carbon fiber wrap upper/lower grille surrounds, satin black wrap window trim, carbon fiber door handle covers, pedestal deck lid spoiler, honeycomb light tint tail light wrap, K&N drop-in air filter, delete intake tube sound muffler...and I have some custom "Thunderbat" decals on the way. 😎

Oh yeah, and the 2010 Camaro hood louvers! (non-functional)

Edited by ThunderBat
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Human said:

I like your Impala. My daily driver is its Buick stablemate, a 2013 LaCrosse. Mine's the 4cyl hybrid. Performance is a little anemic but the fuel economy is adequate compensation. It gets in town about what my 2011 Impala (3.5L V6) got on the highway. I was actually looking for an Impala like yours when I found the LaCrosse and it was just too good of a deal to walk away from.

I get it for sure. I drove a LaCrosse and actually liked the styling better than the Impala but it had a few too many gadgets for me. Not crazy about the start/stop (which I could've deleted with a tune) and the electronic shifter bugged me just a bit. Probably could've gotten used to that tho. Overall, a great looking car. Below is a photo chop of what I would've done with the LaCrosse (shooting for that Turbo Buick GN look)

17LaCrosse.png.f9a7dd867f0f0a803975a7c6f67bdea9.png

Edited by ThunderBat

Here are a couple more shots

Tinted tails / carbon fiber wrap trunk trim

IMG_E1872.JPG.eb09400dae30b22823e9747ec01f7393.JPG

Better shot of the grille and trim

IMG_E1943.JPG.939c0773b138402a97a2c46da8444670.JPG

I do have to say the one thing you can get for a Camaro that isnt available for the Impala that I wish I could get is a set of rear window louvers. The slope of the back glass on this car I think they would look great! 

Edited by ThunderBat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think underbody lighting is illegal in VA, at least on a street car. Never really been something I was interested in.

Actually the ROADHWK plate should soon be available again because I just switched to THDRBAT

Here is the mirror decals I just added

IMG_1976.JPG.4059c1fb9a3587a1882dda7f36192680.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried a set of Camaro rear window louvers on the Impala but alas, the length was close but the Camaro window tapers at the bottom while the Impala spreads out.

However, I am undaunted! I found a set of louvers for a Dodge Charger are wider than the Chevy so I might grab a set and try to section them down the center.

I will keep updates posted.