Instrument Panel lights out & more- 1994 Cutlass Supreme

bluecalais79

Would anyone have an idea on a fix for what I can do to fix this one, here's what's not working:

When I turn the headlight switch to parking lights, all instrument panel lights, parking lights, side lights, fog lights will not work. 

Here's what works ok: When the headlight switch is turned all the way to Headlights (both hi and lo beams) they work ok, directional signals all the way around work, emergency flashers all the way around work . 

The clstr and indic fuses were checked and they were good. I changed the headlight switch to an NOS one I had, still no results.

Is there something I am not remembering to check?

thx as always

IIRC the instrument panel would dim slightly when the headlights were turned on in my 1994 CS. Whatever mechanism controls that function is were I`d start looking, its been so long since I even opened the FSM on that car I cannot recall the terminology better.

I really wanted to disable that function once as it made it harder to read the gauges when a heavy overcast was present during the day but I dont DD that car anymore. 

Edited by rich_e777

On 9/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, bluecalais79 said:

here's what's not working:

When I turn the headlight switch to parking lights, all instrument panel lights, parking lights, side lights, fog lights will not work. 

Here's what works ok: When the headlight switch is turned all the way to Headlights (both hi and lo beams) they work ok, directional signals all the way around work, emergency flashers all the way around work . 

The clstr and indic fuses were checked and they were good. I changed the headlight switch to an NOS one I had, still no results.

Is there something I am not remembering to check?

thx as always

The emergency flashers & the turn signals have nothing to do with the headlamp switch so you can disregard those functions, if the park lights/cluster function properly with the headlamp switch in the *head* position then the wiring for the park lights/cluster is not at fault. Your issue is with the headlamp switch.

Edited by 55trucker

The park lights/ gauge cluster don't work at all in any setting off the headlight switch, but fortunately the brake lights work. With the headlight switch in the HEAD position the headlights do work, brights work, but the tails are out. 

I'm not too good with electrical diagnosis so it looks like this car is off to the repair shop. 

For the time being it look like this car will be my daily driver but not my nightly driver, pun intended.

Edited by bluecalais79

No taillights? ..that was needed info, there are two sides to the headlamp switch, the Head side & the Park side. They each are powered by a different source, the Head side is supplied by a circuit breaker in the forward electrical center, the Park side is supplied thru the 20 amp Tail fuse in the fuse block.

Go into the fuse block & find the blown 20 (it will be yellow), I can't tell you which pin it is on, replace it & all your lights should come back on. Replacing it doesn't tell you why it blew.....there may be an additional issue.

Edited by 55trucker

PAYDIRT!

Thanks 55, I was misreading the manual regarding the fuseblock location, I only went after the block in the glovebox, I failed to check the block under the hood, and that's where it was, just as you wrote. One of those mini-fuses, it was the original one so I'm hoping it was an age thing with it and not another issue. Time will tell on that.

Much appreciated! I can now resume driving the car at night thanks to your tip.

All is well