Lets see your Programming cable setup

Jim_rockford_007

I have a HP tuners Pro MPVI1.  nothing special to look at other than the box and a USB cable.

Also have a DHP tuners which looks basically the same.  What information as you looking for?  These are basically the only 2 options.  

I know folks make a cable to go from the USB output from a laptop to the ADAL port without having to use a high priced box

4 hours ago, Jim_rockford_007 said:

I know folks make a cable to go from the USB output from a laptop to the ADAL port without having to use a high priced box

OBD2 doesn't use ALDL.  Presuming you're running your L67 on OBD2 , you'll need HPtuners, DHP and I forgot one earlier, http://www.tunercat.com/.  

OBD1 you may be able to do cheaper/homemade but OBD1 uses chips,  and you'll need a reader and burner from http://moates.net/

Since I presume you're tying to tune your 99 lumina, you're OBD2 and need one of the more expensive options.  What is your budget?  I may sell my DHP.  

ALDL is the name of the Diagnostic plug under the dash, ALDL connector. Not the operating system. My budget is 100 bucks to build one, I dont want to be locked into some companies tuner. I have tuner pro and A laptop. I found a homeone setup a while back but I didnt save it, Ill try and find it again. We used to do this kinda shit  like this long before hand held tuners came out. 

The cable sounds great.  But does Tunerpro work for these OBD2 PCMs?   From what I am reading it doesn't.  If it does, this is great cheap tuning tool, but I've never once seen anyone tune a 97+ GM w-body PCM on tunerpro.  I have seen it being used on OBD1 (88-93 PCMs) but never the newer w-bodies.  

IMO buy HP tuners($3-400) or DHP (under $300).  With HP tuners once you license the PCM you can make changes as many times as you want.  With DHP you'll never need to license it.   You'll get a proven software and hardware that works. 

I would LOVE to be wrong that anything other than HP tuners, DHP, or Tunercat will work for our OBD2 PCMs but I have yet to see any other application work.  

Just don't want you to waste money on something that has 0 change of actually doing what you want it to do.  

If I'm wrong, please post here once you're scanning and tuning an OBD2 PCM successfully using a different software! 

I have alot of Bins for L67s in GPs and Regals , so someone is using tuner pro for something. I just haven't done a ton of research, Im still new at the whole tuning deal. Im mainly looking to datalog and see whats going on  and then make changes vs just blinding adding more timing and what not.

Edited by Jim_rockford_007

DHP tuner uses a .BIN file and HP tuners used to before they made changes years ago.  

It's probably worth looking into to see if it will work, I'd just hate to see you waste money on something that won't work!  

My tunerpro uses .Bins    Ive got some saved for 99 grand prix and park ave L67 cars  and I have the 6E.xdf   I haven't  looked real hard just here and there , I dont need to tune  cause its pretty stock , I would just like to correct for the wrong tire size since my car has the 215/65/R15's so the speedo is 2 mph off.

Edited by Jim_rockford_007

• 1 year later...

I don't know why I'm responding so late, but I just built my own out of a PCM connector, a OBD2 connector I yanked from a junk car, a random 12V wall-wart phone charger, and a toggle switch I had laying around (for the "switched" ignition feed). While the HPT MVP1 isn't shown, its basically the same setup. In this case, I was flashing a factory Camaro LS1 MT tune onto my donor truck PCM from a Chevy Avalanche so that I had a manual transmission BIN file to build upon.

20221106_105610.jpg

Edited by carkhz316