94 Grand Prix 3.4X motor questions

Jay

Hey guys I need some help please. I bought a crate motor 3.4 that I found out was a 1993 for a manual transmission car. My car is a 1994 Grand Prix with a 3.4 and a automatic transmission. Went to swap it in and in the front of my original engine is a crank sensor on the front of the timing cover and my new crate engine doesn't have the sensor holes to bolt it to the new engines timing cover. Do I have to swap timing covers or will it run for sure without that sensor?? If I have to swap the timing covers how do you get that intermediate camshaft sprocket off?? I have the correct removal tool but can't see anyway to make it work??? Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!!! 

I’m sure I’ll be mostly wrong here but…. Your car being a 94 should be obd1.5. Certainly not obd1 as the crate engine you bought is. I would think you need to swap the covers over for sure as your ecm will want the data from it for timing fuel table purposes.  I think it’ll run but you’ll get a code and it may never come out of closed loop.

what tool do you have to take the sprocket off?  Needs to be the Kent more tool for this. If you can can get the bolt out it should be straightforward.

Robert Saar would know for, sure miss that guy on here.

5 hours ago, GTP091 said:

Where did you find a crate 3.4?  Do they have more?  

I found a company that supplies them.  Can't remember the name but will find out after work.  I plan to get one for my STE.  Also, they are only showing 91-93 years.

The '93-older engines should have a crank sensor, side of the block near the transaxle.  They don't have the cam sensor needed for '94-newer sequential injection.

You need the Genuine GM service manual for info on replacing the timing cover.

In addition to that you'll likely have to swap the front cam carrier over so you get your cam sensor as well

I'd have to look at the books to see how to remove the intermediate shaft cog