Convertible Z34

project 92z

So the wife is wanting a convertible. Luminas never had that option, but I was thinking that since the cutlass did and was a W-body, maybe it'll fit. Anybody have any thoughts?

You’re wanting to turn your z34 into a convertible? Interesting idea. But Save yourself the headache and just buy your wife a convertible cutty in great shape.  Even if it was possible and would fit; which is unlikely, the work involved would be insane.  You’d need a complete donor from a cutty to do this and to find something where the convertible is in great shape and the rest of the car is junk is not likely.  Cutty converts are usually in better shape than most w’s so should be able to find one easy.

I agree with GTP091, but with this additional idea.   If you like the Lumina so much, you could add some Lumina touches to the Cutlass convertible.   Put Lumina wheels, seats, steering wheel, etc. to make it "feel" more like the Lumina.   

Converting a Lumina to a decent functional convertible would be very very expensive.   The Cutlass convertibles were also "converted", in that they were built as coupes and had the tops chopped off.   But the company that did it (not Oldsmobile, they were shipped to another company named Cars and Concepts) didn't just chop off the top, they welded in a number of structural supports in key areas and had to rebuild parts of the car around it.   They added custom plastic painted trim around the back, and you'd probably need to add the "light bar / not-really-a-roll-bar" too to make the doors work properly.   What about the door window frames?   Etc etc etc.   It's not a job you do in your own garage.   For way less money than you'd spend converting your Lumina properly, you could buy a really nice Cutlass convertible for the wife ($10k+), keep the Lumina, and probably even build an extra garage for the Cutlass.     

Or what about THIS idea, that's way cheaper, and still crazy??   Keep your Lumina.   Buy another one just like it, and sawzall the top off.   Put in a full roll cage for structural stability.  Only drive it on sunny days.   Park it in a garage.   Don't bother with the whole "folding top" hassle.   Done.   

Thanks. I appreciate the input. The whole reason for the question from my wife is that I recently picked up another Z which means that technically I own 3 now. 1 in my garage that I'm doing some body work on, 1 in Tennessee that's been " getting painted" by a buddy for the last 12 years and the 1i just rescued from the crusher. The wife is really a bit jealous and was looking for a way to claim one of them.🤪