'96 Grand Prix air hose by headlamp? Help identify

quakerj

1996 Grand Prix coupe.  I had the covers for the headlights open today and noticed what appears to be an air hose on the passenger side near the low beam headlight, tucked into that corner; appeared to be fastened to a piece of sheet metal.  I removed it to get a better look (curiosity got the best of me) and now I can't figure out how it attached, and I'm still flummoxed as to what purpose it serves.  Surely GM didn't spend the couple dollars if it does nothing....

Can anyone tell me what this does, and how to reattach it and where?

Also, does replacing the headlamps involve replacing the whole glass assembly, or can the bulb be removed by itself?  Any help on any of the above would be much appreciated!

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Don't have that included in my '91,

as for the headlights they are 4351 & 4352 sealed beams, the '51 is the low beam. To get them out one removes the 3 horizontal screws in the rear of the mounting assembly along the top of the bracket & there are two vertical screws in behind the headlamps & the entire headlamp assembly comes out.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:20 AM, quakerj said:

Also, does replacing the headlamps involve replacing the whole glass assembly, or can the bulb be removed by itself?  Any help on any of the above would be much appreciated!

Yes and no.

Removing the head light assemblies is easy (not trying to make this insulting but someone I know was removing EVERYTHING) there's three bolts, two are pictured, I think that the third is hidden in your pic.

You basically pull those out.  Then pull out the entire sealed beam and the thin metal housing in one piece.  Pop open the metal housing and you're left with the sealed beam.

You can either replace the sealed beam (the whole assembly).

Or take a heat gun to the RTV around the back of the sealed beam, remove the bulb and replace with a 9005/9006 bulb.  RTV the bulb in again, leave the refurbished sealed beam face down overnight with a very small amount of weight (elastics even) evenly distributed on the bulb and reinstall the next day.

GPHeadlight.jpg