HUD display questions for 92 GP

heineraa

Hi everyone, 

I just had a few questions to ask you guys. I am picking up a 92 Grand Prix GTP next week to modify my 92 Grand Prix SE with and I was wondering if any of you knew if it is possible to wire the heads-up display that came in the higher trim levels into the ones that did not come with one. I am not very concerned about the trip computer and information center since I don’t want to go to the trouble of tearing apart my entire interior. I planned on swapping the dashboard anyways because the new one isn’t cracked the way mine is. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. 

It is possible and others have done it. Your car might be pre-wired for HUD and a DIC. When you take the dash off to replace it, you might find the wiring harness you need.

If not, wiring in a hud and dic isn't that difficult to do. 

Lots of resources on this forum if you dig around a bit. 

Edited by 94 olds vert

12 hours ago, heineraa said:

Hi everyone, 

I just had a few questions to ask you guys. I am picking up a 92 Grand Prix GTP next week to modify my 92 Grand Prix SE with and I was wondering if any of you knew if it is possible to wire the heads-up display that came in the higher trim levels into the ones that did not come with one. I am not very concerned about the trip computer and information center since I don’t want to go to the trouble of tearing apart my entire interior. I planned on swapping the dashboard anyways because the new one isn’t cracked the way mine is. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. 

It would be cool to see pics of both cars and Welcome!

Good news!  Your SE is pre-wired with the connector for the HUD.  There are a few things to consider:

1. In addition to the obvious parts, such as the dash pad, HUD itself, and HUD switch, you will need to remove a bracket that the HUD sits on.  Be careful with the lever on the side of the HUD adjustment switch...those snap off easily because the adjustment cables tend to bind as they age.  Also, you'll have to swap the trapezoid-shaped cluster trim for the HUD switch because it has a hole cut in the underside of it.

2. HUD-equipped cars had windshields that were "HUD suitable."  Since windshields are actually two layers of glass with a laminate layer in between, it is possible to have your HUD image "ghost."  HUD suitable windshields had minimal ghosting.  I'm sure you don't want to get involved with pulling windshields, so just give it a try after you install everything.  I retrofitted a HUD into my car and the HUD image is fine.

If the GTP interior is in good shape and you have the AQ9 fully articulable seats, I'd consider swapping them too.  The interior swap isn't hard, but it helps if you have a lot of space to work and you don't need the car for a couple days assuming you can work on it then.  Along those lines, the trip computer is easy to get out, and so is the harness for it once you get the carpet out.

Please take my advice...I was too intimidated by the work that retrofitting all the cool options these cars came with and mine didn't for a long time.  As a result, I let a lot of these cars in the yard go to the crusher, and now they're pretty much extinct.  I did manage to find a suitable donor car, but that was over *eight* years ago and I haven't seen any since.  There are plenty of people on here who have done the same and can help you, probably more than me.  (Like I said, it's been eight years since I had the interior of my Grand Prix all over the inside of a shop, but it was well worth it.)

5 minutes ago, 1992GrandPrixSE said:

Good news!  Your SE is pre-wired with the connector for the HUD.  There are a few things to consider:

1. In addition to the obvious parts, such as the dash pad, HUD itself, and HUD switch, you will need to remove a bracket that the HUD sits on.  Be careful with the lever on the side of the HUD adjustment switch...those snap off easily because the adjustment cables tend to bind as they age.  Also, you'll have to swap the trapezoid-shaped cluster trim for the HUD switch because it has a hole cut in the underside of it.

2. HUD-equipped cars had windshields that were "HUD suitable."  Since windshields are actually two layers of glass with a laminate layer in between, it is possible to have your HUD image "ghost."  HUD suitable windshields had minimal ghosting.  I'm sure you don't want to get involved with pulling windshields, so just give it a try after you install everything.  I retrofitted a HUD into my car and the HUD image is fine.

If the GTP interior is in good shape and you have the AQ9 fully articulable seats, I'd consider swapping them too.  The interior swap isn't hard, but it helps if you have a lot of space to work and you don't need the car for a couple days assuming you can work on it then.  Along those lines, the trip computer is easy to get out, and so is the harness for it once you get the carpet out.

Please take my advice...I was too intimidated by the work that retrofitting all the cool options these cars came with and mine didn't for a long time.  As a result, I let a lot of these cars in the yard go to the crusher, and now they're pretty much extinct.  I did manage to find a suitable donor car, but that was over *eight* years ago and I haven't seen any since.  There are plenty of people on here who have done the same and can help you, probably more than me.  (Like I said, it's been eight years since I had the interior of my Grand Prix all over the inside of a shop, but it was well worth it.)

I concur.  The HUD parts inside the adjuster are pretty easy to switch out if you happen to have spares.  I made a good one out of two bad ones.  

20210623_212856[2].jpg

20201221_200023[1].jpg

20201221_194045[1].jpg

20190628_181910[1].jpg

20190623_113337[1].jpg