Crank but no start after belts shredded

GTPsurvivor

The Sc belt jumped and took out the drive belt, car conked out so I pulled over under no power. After removing shreds of belts the starter cranks but won't turn engine. 

The wires and connectors going to the crank all look fine. I took the connector off and inspected. ICM wires are fine. All the pulley roll by hand except the crank. 

Replaced the belts after tow and inspection. Couldn't find anything. I even disconnected the battery just to reset but no joy. Any ideas? 

It's possible the belt took out the crank sensor but left the wiring and connector intact. Happened on my L27 van once, had to get towed home. New sensor and it was back in business.

6 hours ago, GTPsurvivor said:

the starter cranks but won't turn engine. 

All the pulley roll by hand except the crank.

The starter cranks, but the crankshaft doesn't turn?

Better hope it's a failed starter drive, 'cause otherwise things get expensive.

12 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

It's possible the belt took out the crank sensor but left the wiring and connector intact. Happened on my L27 van once, had to get towed home. New sensor and it was back in business.

Wouldn't OBD throw a code for that? There's no code. Also how would I tell if it were the crank or cam sensor? Thanks 

The balancer ate part of the belt, bent the teeth, took out a chunk of the crank sensor. I'll try to post pics. Meantime I couldn't find the fabled "key" so I just aligned the notches on the shaft and pulley and it now starts. Is there supposed to be an actual key? 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:12 PM, ManicMechanic said:

You were right it took out a chunk of the sensor without the sensor throwing a code.  Plus the teeth were bent. 1 of the shortest videos I watched on the issue had a nice simple trick:  If you crank and there's no rpm, you can bet it's the crank sensor.  Otherwise there will be some rpm registered. 

• Like 2