Looky I got!

mechanic58

1 hour ago, mechanic58 said:

Actually no, not that simple. The first generation Lumina Z34 had a special axle. The inner CV joint is not retrofittable with the 4T65 style axles. I have to get a set of second generation Lumina axles for a 4T65 and then swap one of the inner joints.

trust me, I already have this sorted out. I just haven’t bought the parts yet.

Interesting because it worked for me.  92 GTP shaft and outer joint with the 03 GTP inner cup.   figured the Z34 would be the same as a 92 GTP.  

But you are correct, the 98/99 lumina/monte carlo with 3.8 would work just fine.  The Drivers side would plug right in, and the passenger side a quick change of the inner tulip to fit the HD diff.  

Edited by Bake82

18 minutes ago, Bake82 said:

Interesting because it worked for me.  92 GTP shaft and outer joint with the 03 GTP inner cup.   figured the Z34 would be the same as a 92 GTP.  

But you are correct, the 98/99 lumina/monte carlo with 3.8 would work just fine.  The Drivers side would plug right in, and the passenger side a quick change of the inner tulip to fit the HD diff.  

I’ll post pics later. The 93 Z34 inner joints are way bigger than the gtp axles. Kinda odd. But the Z34 4T60 did have a 3.69 final, could be why.

Here’s a pic of the two inner joints. These are the pass side inners, the Z34 4T60 inner is on the left, the GTP 4T65 HD is on the right. Although the 4T65 HD joint has a larger spline shaft, the Z34s inner has a larger od tulip.

005-FDADF-537-A-4248-8000-1895-FA6-EF9-C

Interesting!  I think it's like that because I am pretty sure the GTP axle is an aftermarket. I bet if it was OEM it would work. 

I bet if you hit a JY and pulled a GTP pass side axle and if it looked like the lumina one it would work no issues.  but if you can just click and buy one, that's easier!  

On 11/27/2021 at 11:28 PM, mechanic58 said:

You might be right. The GTP did have new axle assemblies in it when I got it. They don’t have 100 miles on them.

that's probably why!  Not surprised.  I've seen in the Fiero world of L67 swaps they run into the same issue with OEM axles vs aftermarket axles and mixing and matching to make the right length. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So who can recommend a place I can send my PCM to have the VATS disabled and a few other items?

I am ready to start this thing finally and discovered that it has VATS. I did save the steering column and the original key from the donor car in case this ended up being the case but I did not realize there was a separate VATS module under the dash that needed to be in the loop to make it work. The donor car is long gone at this point. 😐

It starts and runs for about a second. Such a bummer.

2 hours ago, pwmin said:

What else do you need done?  You might try ZZPerformance.  If I had a setup to do it with just the PCM, I could change the tune for you.

I need to have the VATS disabled and I want to have the downstream O2 sensor turned off and I need to have the final drive ratio reprogrammed because I changed it. 

I sent it to pcmforless.com in Stow, OH. I have used them in the past on other projects. We’ll see how it goes. I hope they can figure out the gear change and tc stall speed conundrum with the shift points. 

Dammit. I'm late to this thread. I built a bench harness for tuning PCMs out of the vehicle. I have connectors wired up for GEN 3 LS as well as 90s W-body (practically same connector, just different pinouts). I could do it for cost of HP credits and some beer monies.

4 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

Dammit. I'm late to this thread. I built a bench harness for tuning PCMs out of the vehicle. I have connectors wired up for GEN 3 LS as well as 90s W-body (practically same connector, just different pinouts). I could do it for cost of HP credits and some beer monies.

Murphy’s law. Cost me $200 to have pcmforless do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the PCM back, VATS is off. Now it’ll start and run for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. What am I missing here? I only have two wires hooked up for this to work - the pink “ignition on” wire and the slightly heavier gauge fuel pump power wire. When it shuts off it acts like its either losing injector pulse (like with VATS) or power to the ignition. Its not a fuel pump/pressure issue. It acts like some other failsafe is killing it. Any ideas? 

I do not have a good pinout for this PCM. The service number is 09380717. (2000 model year Pontiac GP GTP)

Sounds like the run signal to the PCM is missing to re-enable the fuel pump after its started. But I will also admit I know very little about the L67 swap..

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me. I actually assumed that the reason this was happening is because I overlooked something. Perhaps I need to move this query outside of this thread and create a new thread so that it gets more attention. Somebody on here knows what is causing this problem.

You could verify the theory with a multi-meter on the relay to the fuel pump, start it, is the wire going to the fuel pump hot. If not......

• 1 month later...

The issue was that the VATS was in fact NOT disabled. Sent the PCM back to the tuner and it worked after I got it back the second time. In the meantime I bought another PCM for a ‘99 model GTP that did not have VATS on it, that one works, too, however it just has a stock tune. It’s available if anyone needs it. I’d take $100 for it.