Looky I got!

mechanic58

1 hour ago, Amanita said:

How many miles are on the engine? I think the bottom end is the same between '93 and '96. If the miles are low enough I might be interested in the LQ1 in the future should you be looking to get rid of it.

1 minute ago, 55trucker said:

Is that 1st photo the cat from under the car?

No, Jim’s just being an ass. That probably came off of one his trashy-assed girlfriends’ car. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, mechanic58 said:

welp, got this CS out this morning. Like to get my hands on the SOB that designed this installation. 

C20-D1896-F944-4-BE6-A4-D4-FC7-B40230-E2

Yeah, it's not a fun job.  I had the radiator and fans out of my International when I changed mine out.  It was alot easier as I used a really long extension and just went thru the rad support and lower bumper opening to get access to the bolts.  

The later LQ1's starting in 96 I believe moved the packs and module up topside.  Much nicer.

Again, those packs with the white numbered firing order are unobtainable now.  It took me a very long time to find an NOS set.

610110308_20210320_2042181.jpg.2756d0bb32a0a9ceb32447fbde361b05.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

Yeah, it's not a fun job.  I had the radiator and fans out of my International when I changed mine out.  It was alot easier as I used a really long extension and just went thru the rad support and lower bumper opening to get access to the bolts.  

The later LQ1's starting in 96 I believe moved the packs and module up topside.  Much nicer.

Again, those packs with the white numbered firing order are unobtainable now.  It took me a very long time to find an NOS set.

610110308_20210320_2042181.jpg.2756d0bb32a0a9ceb32447fbde361b05.jpg

The coils checked good so I’m going to reuse them. I just picked up an ignition module that I paid way too much for so we’ll see what happens.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, jiggity76 said:

Rubber stamp + white paint. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I have the engine and trans out of this car now. It’s available for sale if anyone is interested. I may put it on eBay eventually. 

Are you planning a rebuild on that L67? Seems to be very high in miles. Given how abused the rest of the car is I doubt they took good care of the engine.

Edited by GTP091

31 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

You’re going to drop a mile’d out L67 in there without a rebuild?

Of course not. I’m planning a complete overhaul and upgrade to the L67/4T65. 

I will say though that it still runs strong af. It just leaks all of its fluids from every possible leak point. The trans is a tad lazy though. 

Edited by mechanic58

I haven’t looked too far into this yet, does anyone have any good insight on what I’m going to be up against on motor mounts? I figure the trans side mount will interchange no problem, I’m concerned about the lower engine side mounts. Not concerned about the uppers, those will be easy to fab/modify. 

I really dread removing the L67 from the Pontiac. That drivetrain is greasier than family night at Gino’s pizzeria in Youngstown, OH.

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

^ No big mystery there......

1st gen Regal L27 engine mounts, all  1st gen Regals fitted with the L27 made use only a single dogbone. The powertrain does not tilt.

Thanks. I have been studying the engine mount situation since I made that post earlier today. I think I have it basically figured out at this point. I think I’m going to have everything I need already to bolt it in place. I’ll be sure to outline exactly what I did when I get to that point.

The replacement mounts can be had almost anywhere, you'll need the front & rear engine bracket from a 1st gen Regal (or likewise) to support the engine.

The 2nd gen configuration makes use of 2 dogbones seeing as there is a single mount under the engine.

Part # 3 & 4

AH88093.png

https://www.gmpartsdirectonline.com/a/Buick__Regal/59848694__6400100/ENGINE--TRANSAXLE-ENGINE--TRANS-MOUNTING/AH88093.html

Edited by 55trucker

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Edit: This engine I'm using is a Series II 3800. There were significant differences between the Series I and Series II engines. The 1st gen Regals woulda had a Series I engine. Are the motor mount locations the same on both blocks? I know for a fact there were multiple casting differences between the two engines, especially along the oil pan rail area on the block. 

Edited by mechanic58