Looky I got!

mechanic58

Just picked this up today, ‘93. Unmolested one owner Carolina car. Been parked a long time. Timing belt failure. 

CF818-AAB-CD49-44-B4-BAB3-BC1-A6-F3685-F

30-FD7-EB5-462-F-4-AC7-A655-F5-EE3486-BC

97263541-6373-4680-8733-E0-B5007-E4-BEB.

03-B21-DD7-A064-493-D-8-E33-E2-C908-E1-C

715-DEEA3-BC0-E-40-AD-8693-0-F18-BDF0-C2

Edited by mechanic58
Changed the picture links

Got this thing torn down today and cleaned up. Ordered some parts. I may have it running later this week. LQ1 parts are all closeout priced on rock auto, the timing belt was only $2.14!

FDA490-AB-07-ED-4-EFC-AF29-454613-CBE910

5 hours ago, Amanita said:

Taking the LQ1 out? Shame the '93 engine isn't a drop in fit in my '96 Grand Prix or I'd ask if it's for sale.

Not sure yet, I might. Depends on how well I like how it runs and performs. I’ve never had any experience with one. Had plenty with the sc 3800’s though, so we’ll see. IF it ends up coming out it will definitely be for sale - engine and trans, complete. 

• Like 2

L67 swaps are fun and were cool back in the day, but for me, with a car that nice, if you can get the 3.4 running, there's no way I would do the swap.  It's your car, so you do what you want with it, but although it lacks in power, the 3.4 sounds better and is more fun to rev out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pwmin said:

L67 swaps are fun and were cool back in the day, but for me, with a car that nice, if you can get the 3.4 running, there's no way I would do the swap.  It's your car, so you do what you want with it, but although it lacks in power, the 3.4 sounds better and is more fun to rev out.

More than likely that’s what will end up happening, but this car has been parked for a very long time and there is evidence that it is had a transmission change at some point. Now I’m worried about it having the correct final drive ratio. If it got a transmission with a taller final drive ratio it’ll kill this thing. I guess I’ll find out soon. I took the gas tank out of it last night and cleaned it up and got all the rotten fuel out of it. The new fuel pump will be here today along with the rest of the parts I ordered for the engine. However even if I do get it running this weekend I still won’t be able to drive it because the brakes are fossilized. That’ll be a project for another weekend.

• Like 2

Welp, got the Z34 running. Still has some issues, for some reason the tach does not work and the engine does not want to rev up. When you attempt to open the throttle all the way it acts like the rev limiter is stopping it from revving up. It’s also either running lean or leaking raw fuel into one or several cyls because the converter is getting hot. I suspect it’s going to need fuel injectors. The engine noise that you hear in the video cleared up after it ran for a little while. Especially after I changed the oil.

2 hours ago, mechanic58 said:

Welp, got the Z34 running. Still has some issues, for some reason the tach does not work and the engine does not want to rev up. When you attempt to open the throttle all the way it acts like the rev limiter is stopping it from revving up. It’s also either running lean or leaking raw fuel into one or several cyls because the converter is getting hot. I suspect it’s going to need fuel injectors. The engine noise that you hear in the video cleared up after it ran for a little while. Especially after I changed the oil.

Very cool that you got her running!  Congrats man!  Please tell me that you kept those original plug wires.

Hopefully the motor will give you years of enjoyment.  I really want it to stay with the car if at all possible.  The best thing for that car is for it to get moving!

17 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Very cool that you got her running!  Congrats man!  Please tell me that you kept those original plug wires.

Hopefully the motor will give you years of enjoyment.  I really want it to stay with the car if at all possible.  The best thing for that car is for it to get moving!

No, they were trash. I suspect the icm is bad. If that ends up being the case I probably wont fix it and it’ll come out. Not too impressed with this engine anyway.

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

The cat may be your issue, engine idles reasonably well but is not capable of higher rpms due to the exhaust being clogged.

Nope. Clogged cats are a myth. That **** only happens to trash people who drive around in garbage they never change oil in, etc. 

Edit: I’ve been working on cars for 35 years, never seen an actual clogged cat.

Edited by mechanic58

Good for you, I've got 13 years on you, if the cat suffered a meltdown because something up stream in the fuel management system failed then the converter substrate collapsed into particles and have collected in the system then the exhaust will be clogged. 

Cats don't fail on their own, as I said something upstream where the fuel management system has to fail to cause the substrate to collapse, it will clump into chunks of solid material causing a restriction in the exhaust.

I’m not going to argue with you anymore. There is no problem with the cat or the exhaust on this car. The hot cat is a symptom of another problem.

How many miles are on the engine? I think the bottom end is the same between '93 and '96. If the miles are low enough I might be interested in the LQ1 in the future should you be looking to get rid of it.