FE3 Suspension Specs?

GoldSupreme95

I have a '90 Cutlass Supreme SL Sedan with 18,000 original miles. Fully optioned out with the FE3 suspension. I am attempting to determine exactly what the FE3 suspensions consisted of on these cars. I see many different specs quoted online. I want to replace the rear struts because they are 31 years old. Any opinions or suggestions will really help. This car is new to me. 

Specs.jpg

FE3 Suspension.jpg

On 12/12/2005 at 12:31 PM, GnatGoSplat said:

The only difference is the springs, aux springs, sway bars, struts.

Spring seats, control arms, etc. are all the same.

A suggestion for future questions is to use google and search this site specifically  Type site:w-body.com followed by whatever topic/text you want to search and this will yield far better search results than the built in search on this site.

Most here are going to recommend KYB struts to replace those on a car with FE3 suspension. The top of the line Monroe's are another option, though the KYB's are a bit stiffer.

• Like 2

Nab a strut tower bar if you're able to. They only came factory on cutlass convertibles, gives a bit of stiffness that these cars respond well to. There are 2 versions, the 3.1 cars had a thinner, round bar while the 3.4 cars had a thicker, square one.

Also, I've redone most of my suspension in my Grand Prix. I'd suggest replacing your sway bar bushings. If possible go with poly ones, I used those in the front. For struts I went with the KYB Excel-Gs. They've done a solid job, new bushings and shocks are essentially upgrades when you're dealing with cars this old. Don't bother replacing the monoleaf in the back unless you're open to either switching to some coil over setup or getting a custom metal replacement. It's a huge hassle to deal with.

Strut tower braces are about the same thickness, and yes the monoleaf is a pain to deal with but replacing those outer pucks is a must if wanting to keep it handling right. New subframe mounts and rear adjustable lateral links help out a ton as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm using KYB's in my 94 (3.4 package) and also in my 96 (3.1), no complaints, great ride in both these cars. I have a 3.4 front strut tower brace which were originally on a convertible on both of them as well. Big improvement for sure. 

But the real kicker are the rear strut tower braces I got from someone on this site, one for each car, (I don't think they are available any longer, in fact I think I got his last one).  HUGE improvement, too bad these are no longer available from him. Worth every penny. They tuck well up into the trunk and no one knows they are there unless you point them out. Case in point, the judges at the AACA Nationals in Gettysburg last year looked right at it and moved on without comment. I got a 1st Junior for this car.

Edited by bluecalais79