3.1 Timing chain cover gasket replacement

Amanita

I need to replace a coolant leak on my '96 Grand Prix and the timing chain cover gasket looks to be the culprit. How bad of a job is this? I thought it wasn't going to be too bad but the Haynes manual I have makes it look like a really intimidating job. It says I have to remove the starter, flywheel cover, oil pain (which in turn means i have to remove the AC compressor) and plenty of other things. Is this true or am I able to avoid removing the entire passengers side of the engine compartment?

• 11 months later...

I should update this topic for anyone in the future that also has to do this job. I didn't have to take the oil pan off, but if you do this you have to be really careful about getting debris in it. I ran about 10 quarts of clean oil through the pan to make sure I flushed everything out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Amanita said:

I should update this topic for anyone in the future that also has to do this job. I didn't have to take the oil pan off, but if you do this you have to be really careful about getting debris in it. I ran about 10 quarts of clean oil through the pan to make sure I flushed everything out.

For the LQ1's, I thought the motor or pan had to come out in order to do the engine cover.  Thanks to 55trucker, that's not the case at all.  The passenger side axle shield has to come off, maybe the axle itself, I'm not sure and need to revisit his notes again.  The rest of the components will then have to be removed off the side of the motor obviously.  With the LQ1, you have to have the special tools in order to remove the timing belt components as well, something not needed for the 3.1's.  The tools consist of the lock down ones for the cams, a puller for the cam cogs, and a puller for the dampener or harmonic balancer.  The same tool that pulls off the cogs is used to pull off the intermediate shaft pulley as well.  One thing that I learned...very glad that I learned, the engine cover gasket is a ONE TIME USE gasket.  I'm not 100% sure if this is true on the 3.1's but I think it might be.  If I remember, they use the same gasket and part number.  It's also a good idea to lay down a layer of RTV or gasket maker on the bottom edge or flange of the engine cover where it meets the oil pan.  A little dab on the key for the crankshaft is also a good idea to help prevent any leakage.

809865648_20210424_0817291.jpg.67314d573e7c209313c9807ea0df3ec3.jpg1010499897_20210424_0750081.jpg.0ee77498501e0ecc5b41ee2fae5a96a6.jpg

These tools are ONLY required when pulling the timing chain and sprockets off.  Like most sprocket/chains set ups, the crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprocket and the chain need to come off in unison and reinstalled the same way.

286767402_20210424_0757541.jpg.89e2a63e0a8aedacfe176b62da0b1d7e.jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 2